lower half of display is not registering?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Jul 17, 2015.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I posted anything but has anyone here ever experienced a problem where the lower half of a display does not register mouse clicks? I have now noticed that my former ACD, a gateway 21". a BenQ 21" and a Samsung Syncmaster 2233BW all are "displaying" this same issue.

It seems reasonable that it could be a bad GPU, but I wanted to get others' opinions before I tried to find a replacement for it.

Now, when I am navigating either through a browser or even a stock OS X app, the lower portion of the display shows the cursor but most of it is not clickable. Only when I move the current active window or app higher up on the display will the items that were previously unclickable suddenly work. I initially thought that there were issues with the mice that I have (Razer Taipan, Apple wired mouse with trackball), but no matter the display that I choose or the port that I use on my stock GeForce 6600, this issue continues.

The interesting thing is that the dock is not affected at all and works normally.

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do, please feel free to let me know.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Good question! I'll create another account and then see.

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

The answer to that question is NO. That's strange.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Then, look for a .plist that would be related to actions on the screen. Maybe the com.apple.BezelServices.plist
    Or, com.apple.HIDMouse.plist
    com.apple.HIToolbox.plist
    com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

One of those may help. All can safely be deleted, then logout, or just restart your Mac. If none of those affect the dead clicks, then someone else may have other ideas. Something that affects how the screen responds mouse clicks. Could even be the finder, or the dock.

6. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thank you very much for your advice since once you said anything about the Dock being the possible culprit, I knew exactly what the issue was; Docker. It's the app that I used to make my dock completely transparent. I opened it up, restored Apple's default settings and then that was it! So thank you very much!

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Well, that's a lot better than trying (and wasting your time and money :D ) to replace the GPU, eh?
    Glad you found a simple fix ... :D

8. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Considerably better! I was about to create a new account, transfer everything over, and start over from there. Thanks again for flicking the switch and lighting up the bulb over my cartoon PPC head.