Lower section of MBP trackpad. Does it work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SebZen, Nov 24, 2009.

1. SebZen macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way or my trackpad is broken, but on my early 2009 MBP, the very lowest section of the trackpad doesn't track. Do yours track?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If I move DOWN to it, it tracks my finger until it leaves the pad. If I come back to the very bottom again and move around it won't track in the last 3mm of the pad. Probably an area absent of sensors, nothing to worry about :p

3. CW Jones macrumors 6502

The "whole" trackpad works, again minus that like 3-5mm little section that you would have to actually try to touch lol up until now... I never noticed it before

4. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, same here. Glad to know it isn't broken :cool:

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yeah thanks, I feel self conscious now...

<.<

>.>

Your "Z" is crooked! >8\

6. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

designed

It is designed that way. The lower 3-5mm section is fully functional if you attentively put your finger and slide across it. But it's not as sensitive as the upper part. This is because people who are familiar with the old button trackpads will point with index finger and click with thumb at the same time. So it wouldn't register as a two-finger click. Or people like me who always put thumb on the lower part of the trackpad wouldn't find themselves zooming the screen all the time. It's so smart.

(You can try this: slide your finger from the top down to the very bottom and slide across the bottom. You will find the bottom part works without a glitch.)

Similar thing is with the Caps lock key. You have to attentively press the key to turn it on but can be turn off with just a flick. This is to prevent accidental input. Details like those make me feel the Macs worth the extra bucks over PC.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

My god! It's genius!!!! Apple is the only computer company that would design a pen that works in zero-g while other hypothetical companies would just take a pencil to the space station.

It more than makes up for the cost! I could NEVER live with a non-Apple computer now! Not to mention, the price is not JUST hardware, people forget that Apple has superior SOFTWARE to match.

8. vant macrumors 65816

Wow, I did not know that about the caps lock.

9. JajoPGH macrumors regular

The top of my trackpad doesn't click. What's with that?

10. XP Defector macrumors 6502

lol thanks for the heads up on the caps lock. No idea, fascinating. I thought that my caps button was a bit faulty.

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If you have a removable battery, take it out and look at the underside of the trackpad and you see that the hinge is at the top. Try shutting the front door to your house by pushing on the area right by the hinge, not happenin'. ;)

MacBook Unibody
    [​IMG]

12. cake90036 macrumors regular

What does superior software to match mean? That makes no sense.

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Superior build quality as well as superior included software -.-'

14. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Congratulations you have introduced a whole new level of OCD.

15. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto