Lower the lowest volume?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DudeMartin, May 31, 2012.

1. DudeMartin macrumors regular

I bought a new pair of headphones recently. I've used other headphones on my MacBook Pro (2011 13", Snow Leopard) before, but this pair is the only one with a problem.

The problem is that the headphones are really loud! When I plug in the headphones and I turn my volume up to "one above mute," it is deafeningly loud. The only way to make it bearable is to manually go to the sound options and drag the slider between "one above mute" and mute (that level is not available if I were to press F11 on my keyboard to lower the volume a little - it would just go to mute).

Sometimes, I want to make it louder so I instinctively press F12 (one louder) on my keyboard and I go deaf temporarily! Although it is something that I could deal with, I am wondering if there is something to lower the base volume. For example, "one above mute" is the loudest possible option and if I wanted to make it a little bit quieter it would not become mute.

I know that iOS has a feature like that. I forgot exactly what it is called, but it allows the volume to be capped out at a certain level, and that level is made to be the new maximum volume. So for example, I could make it on my iPod that 50% of real maximum is the maximum.

Is there a similar feature on OS X, or perhaps an application that can achieve the same effect?

Thanks!

2. 8.33 macrumors newbie

If you hold shift and option whilst using the volume control buttons you can change in 1/4 steps. But that may only be of some use.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

What make of headphones are they? By the sound if it (sic) they are too sensitive.

Two solutions come to mind. Use a headphone attenuator or buy a different pair of headphones.

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Tap the volume down key on the keyboard until no bars show (sound off). Then tap the mute key once.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Hey, they finally brought this feature back to Lion. I remember it didn't work in early versions of Lion, must have showed up in 10.7.4.

But on to the OP's question about a volume limiter, I found this answer on this site.

6. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

This works pretty nicely for me. Thanks!