Lowering my ATT Minitues since I'm using Skype unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Greenhoe, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

I just signed up for Skype $2.95 Unlimited US and Canada Land Line and Moblie calling and it works great! I use my phone a lot while at home so the majority of all my calling is going to be from my room.

I'm going to be changing my iPhone plan this week to the 450 mins, since I won't nearly be using my ATT mins that much since I will make most of my calls via skype when I'm in Wifi.

I was wondering if anyone else is going to be doing the same. The only thing I need to do is setup Skype Caller ID which is free with my subscription although I have to buy a credit to confirm I own my mobile phone which will allow me friends to see my iPhone number when I call them from skype.

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

good idea. I am on 450 min, if there was a lower plan I would downgrade because of skype. I can survive on 300min + nights and weekends.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

4. aok1975 macrumors 6502

That wont affect me because I dont even have the data plan on my iphone3g, I only use wifi anyway.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah you're right. If you use WiFi for transferring data then it won't affect you. May affect some though. Just wanted to point it out. Good call.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Skype app itself doesn't work over wireless data services, without hacking (it's been reported, for completeness sake, that it does in 3.0 betas, but this is thought to just be an oversight). So the only people it really ought to affect are people who hack their phones to use these services over the cellular network.

And of course anyone in a country where the provider, like T-Mobile in Europe, has put even stricter rules into place....

7. aok1975 macrumors 6502

If you are using skype over 3g I dont see how they can prove that, I dont see how they can prove anything as long as you dont use over 5gb of data a month.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You might not see how they can justify it, but why would you think they could not prove it. There's you. There's your iPhone's IP address. There's the Skype server IP address. There's this thing in between the two... called their data network. Erm....

9. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

exactly.. DATA is DATA

10. aok1975 macrumors 6502

ok but if I am allowed 5gb a month and lets say, I use 4gb a month, they cant punish me for that. If I however used 7gb a month I can understand. I dont see how they can enforce this one everyone, I see it to affect those that go over their data allocations.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

According to the new AT&T policy it's not a limit on data it is a prohibition on how you can use their data. Therefore, the new provisions and policies would prohibit using Skype over the data network.

Pretty much AT&T is saying "we know you pay for this data but we can still tell you how you can use it".

12. aok1975 macrumors 6502

They will get sued and with merit. They better let people out of their contracts without penalty because this is not what people signed up for.

13. slapppy macrumors 65816

Has anyone tried this using your BT headset? Does it work?

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Doesn't work for me - very annoying.

15. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I just bought my subscription as well and mine came with a little bit of Skype credit (not sure why or exactly how much). I went through the caller id setup and got my text message (they subtracted it from my Skype credit). Works great.

16. slapppy macrumors 65816

Darn.. Thanks for checking then. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong and couldn't get it to work for some reason.

17. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

yea I tried it, it does work.

18. slapppy macrumors 65816

This is with the Apple BT headset? Is there a setting I need to look for somewhere? Appreciate the tip.

19. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I'm using the 3.0 beta2.

But it seems to work randomly.

20. slapppy macrumors 65816

Oh thats why then. Good to know that its working somewhat at least with 3.0. :)

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I didn't see anything specific in the new Terms and Conditions that implied that Skype over 3G is forbidden - it seemed to be geared more towards streaming video, P2P, etc.

22. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

If you change your plan doesn't it make your plan renew from that date.. So in fact if your sick and tired of AT&T and was looking to switch at some point in the future, this would make your contract reset from that day you switched your minutes. Is this correct..

James

23. aok1975 macrumors 6502

No it wont reset your contract.

24. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No you can change the voice rate plan to meet your needs there is no change to your two year commitment ( contract ).

Dave

25. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Nope, don't really talk very much... I text more than anything