lowest bitrate for mp3 before compromising sound quality

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Sossity, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I have a modified ipod that has 32gb of flash storage on it, and I am loading music onto it for someone. They have quite a bit of music 100+ albums, that I have tipped in flac format.

I will be converting these to mp3 to put onto the ipod, but would like to know of the lowest bitrate I can go to get the most music on the device.

2. Muttznuttz macrumors member

Muttznuttz

That really depends on a load of variables. How good are your friends ears and headphones? You could have FLACs on the device and crap headphones. It'll sound as good as the lowest common denominator. I wouldn't even try to fit all the albums on. 32GB isn't a lot of space. A nice iTunes library and regular plugging in and swapping playlists over would be a better option with this much storage. Encode your FLACs to 320 .MP3s, it'll still sound as good for most people

3. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

For MP3s, 224 kbps is the lowest I would go as anything below that starts to sound pretty nasty. I would recommend encoding them as 256 kbps AAC files though, the quality is comparable to 320K MP3s and they take up less space than MP3s do.

4. NoBoMac Moderator

NoBoMac

Staff Member

What @Muttznuttz said.

Personally, all my music is in 256 AAC, but, when listening to music, I'm not using audiophile headphones, more than likely piping through the car stereo (read: tire noise, fans, traffic), so, not ideal listening conditions. Or working out and getting outside/ambient noise.

Add in age, where hearing might not be what it once was.

Might be over thinking this, imo.