lowest CPU usage web browser?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrklaw, Jul 20, 2009.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Hi

I'm getting really frustrated by this macbook pro. Supposed to be a pretty powerful laptop, but I get hardly any battery life just using a standard web browser. Firefox is often using nearly an entire core and most web pages have some flash on them which I know is rubbish on mac.

I'm running the apollo 11 live stream in a popout player, which is just a tiny shoutcast window with some streaming audio - 80% CPU usage in firefox! Tried switching to safari but that seems just as bad 80-85%

Is there any way to bring this down or do I just have to suck it up? No magic super efficient browser? I'm getting a couple of hours away from a power socket at the moment and thats just with a few browser windows open - no separate apps.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Flash and other plug-ins are the problem not the browser.

3. BoogieTrain macrumors member

I actually love flash block, but dont like firefox in general. I found a plugin for safari called SafariStand, and several others that offer a flash block feature, but actually did not install any of them, but installed GlimmerBlocker. I must say, im loving this program. It does not offer the little button to load the flash applet, but i find that it only blocks the ads and stuff u dont want there. I was not looking for anything specific when i installed it so it may not be quite what you were looking for, but just installing it has actually made my browser experience better. Many side flash applet things never rear their ugly heads and currently my Safari is taking 0.7% cpu with this tab open and a google tab open.

Glimmerblocker also adds keywords such as wiki and imdb in the address bar.

Give it a peep, its good, free software.