Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earsly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Hello,

I'm coming from windows to look for a change. I know most people here say the $1499 model rMBP 13 inch is the best value that you can get. However, would the lowest model $1299 suit my needs?

I need it to surf the net, work in windows (parallel), word processing, watch movies, minor photo editing, world of warcraft.

Thanks.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Hello,

I'm coming from windows to look for a change. I know most people here say the $1499 model rMBP 13 inch is the best value that you can get. However, would the lowest model $1299 suit my needs?

I need it to surf the net, work in windows (parallel), word processing, watch movies, minor photo editing, world of warcraft.

Thanks.

Depending on what you run in parallels.
Id run bootcamp or no windows at all.
But besides that ita mor than fine.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Hello,

Thanks.

I'm not sure of WoW put for all your other needs...easily. Get it for 1099 at best buy if possible.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Hello,

Thanks.

You can get away with it but 4GB ram while running a VM is not a good idea. You want to have some memory to spare. If anything, get the 1299 with the 8gb $100 memory upgrade. Then again 128gb might be small... So yeah you probalby should go straight for the 1499 model. Not even sure how well WoW runs on these...

verseafterverse

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
I bought the early 2013 13inch rmbp 8/256 for 1299 from bestbuy new on clearance today.Although it is pre haswel and doesn't have the iris graphics i love it and plays steam games fine.

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
I picked up the base Haswell 13 inch retina today. It works perfectly fine for my needs, which does include a little photo and video editing, but not any virtual machines. I think it would work well for most of your needs, but you may want to consider the the $1499 model because you wish to run parallels. Other than that, you won't have any issue. The base model is a lot more capable than people think.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
I bought the early 2013 13inch rmbp 8/256 for 1299 from bestbuy new on clearance today.Although it is pre haswel and doesn't have the iris graphics i love it and plays steam games fine.

Bought a the Haswell version three weeks ago for $1249. $200 off sale price + $50 educational discount.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Bought a the Haswell version three weeks ago for $1249. $200 off sale price + $50 educational discount.

Awesome..but doesn't help OP today...more deals could be coming up if he can wait...the key is how long can one wants to wait.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
Hello,

Thanks.
You can also get the $1499 model for $1396 from MacMall if you're real quick.
Ships within a week.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

I pretty much fell in love with that review. And I admire how the reviewer really pushed the machine to its limits. The low-end base model is more capable than we give it credit for, but I personally wouldn't be comfortable buying it.

----------

You can also get the $1499 model for $1396 from MacMall if you're real quick.
Ships within a week.

Man, that's a good deal. Even better than the education discount.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
There are more threads about this issue before. If you can't search then that's your fault

Maybe he doesn't want to search those. Maybe he wants to talk about his particular issue and discuss it with others on the board. I just love you forum police types. Is there a premium on space on this board? You're the one who clicked on the thread. Why? Heaven forbid someone ask a question about a mac purchase on a macrumors forum.

Striker-UMB

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Toronto
Maybe he doesn't want to search those. Maybe he wants to talk about his particular issue and discuss it with others on the board. I just love you forum police types. Is there a premium on space on this board? You're the one who clicked on the thread. Why? Heaven forbid someone ask a question about a mac purchase on a macrumors forum.

Yeah typical rude snob, plenty on these boards. If that's all you're doing OP then you should be fine with the base model. OSX Maverick's is very light on the ram usage anyways, that's why they introduced this 4GB model. People always worry about HD space, but external HDD are so cheap these days so its not really an issue, and with USB 3.0 speeds you are laughing. Not to mention you can always add in a larger SSD from OWC if you really "need" to have internal storage. I say go for the base model and enjoy:D

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I've always been a fan of base configurations as well. I have the base 2012 model and have never run into a storage or performance problem. I just use an external for media and my work revolves around the daily tasks of a typical English professor (documents, online course management, some video work). My thinking has always been that I would rather buy a base model and upgrade every 2-3 years than pay a bunch of money up front to future proof.

Earsly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the base model through best buy for $1099 + tax. I'll give it a try and it's its not up to the performance that I want then I'll upgrade. I compared the air and rMBP and I'm not sure how anyone could order an air since there's only 0.5 lb difference and the screen is just unbelievable gorgeous on the rMBP.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the base model through best buy for $1099 + tax. I'll give it a try and it's its not up to the performance that I want then I'll upgrade. I compared the air and rMBP and I'm not sure how anyone could order an air since there's only 0.5 lb difference and the screen is just unbelievable gorgeous on the rMBP.

Hope works for you! My wife has a 2012 MBA and I have not been able to convince her to upgrade to a 13 rMBP like mine, she said likes more the form factor and the less weight over the better screen, so guess there is something about the air that still attract some customers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.