Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I'm replacing the optical drive in my macBook with a HD for storage and putting a SSD in the storage bay. I'd like to do this and not effect the battery life for heat out put much.

Whats the lowest powered HDD over 250GB? The speed doesn't matter as it's going to be for storage only.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I really think if you're looking to conserve power then the slower the drive the better, maybe. Also see if WD has a "green" drive in the size you need. They made them in 3.5", which I found odd because that suggests they're going into desktops and all that, but they did ...

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I really think if you're looking to conserve power then the slower the drive the better, maybe. Also see if WD has a "green" drive in the size you need. They made them in 3.5", which I found odd because that suggests they're going into desktops and all that, but they did ...

Yeah. I'm starting to think that maybe one of the Blues might be the
best choice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Blues are good. I understand they're quite favored around these parts. I have not had a MB or MBP in ages so I'm quite out of the loop.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I just googled around and Hitatchi might be a bit better when it comes to power when comparing the 500GB to the 500GB Blue.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Would it be a better idea to just get a 60GB SSD and put my 240GB SSD in the optical bay?

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Would it be a better idea to just get a 60GB SSD and put my 240GB SSD in the optical bay?

Definitely not, don't waste that big SSD on using it for storage. Especially if you're not using it all the time (a al a storage HD) it's not going to be that big of a power draw.

Go with a 5400rpm drive, maybe a WD Green/Blue, in the optibay and your big SSD in the original HD spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.