Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
So I'm a committed 'Mini' user due to having small hands, appreciating the one-handed use and the fact it fits easily and comfortably in any pocket without any drag.

Prior to the 12 Mini, I mainly used a 1st Gen SE (even smaller). I currently have a 12 Mini and I guess my plan is to buy a cheaper 13 Mini some time next year when prices come down.

But rumours strongly suggest Apple isn't making a "14 Mini" and the smallest phone we'll get next September will be something close in size to the 13/13 Pro. That's still too big for me in all honesty.

Sure a 12 Mini/13 Mini will be fine for years to come, but part of me doesn't want to get left behind - I'd love a similar sized phone without a notch, or a 120hz display or a new form factor. Part of me thinks at some point I'm just going to have to accept that Apple doesn't want to make Mini-sized devices and I'll just have to get used to a larger device. Deep down I hope the Mini becomes the next SE in a year or two, with updated internals matching the 14.

So for 12 Mini/13 Mini users, what are your plans beyond next year phone-wise? Are you just going to stick with a Mini as long as possible or are you resigned to having to go to a bigger device just to get the latest tech?

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
If the 13 mini (currently ordered) works out well, personally I will consider this a “solved problem” for at least the next 3 years. Trying to predict what Apple’s lineup looks like in 2024 at the earliest is basically impossible, so I will keep my eye on what they’re putting out and be hopeful that a compact solution is available the next time I need it.

Reactions: Graham4723

onafriday

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
I'm going mini this year from an 11 Pro. I don't have small hands but I love the form factor and how light it is - I have a lot of nostalgia for the 5S. So, I'm interested to see how I like this. I can imagine going back to a Pro in a couple of years, but excited to have a mini while it's the latest and (nearly) greatest. I can't help but think, though, that it would have sold better if it were a mini pro rather than a "regular" mini.

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I have huge hands. But still, last year I got the 12 Pro and hated its looks, so I returned it and got the Mini.
I love the size of the Mini. But I'm still tempted by the new shiny camera features of the Pro line.

I'm currently thinking I'll upgrade from 12 Mini --> 13 Mini if it sounds like the camera and battery improvements are worth it.

As for after 2022... don't be surprised if the reports of the death of the Mini are exaggerated. Lots of people love it. All the tech reviewers, for example, praise the big phone cameras and then they admit they are "iPhone Mini" people themselves. The pandemic may have slowed down sales, but the Mini format will live to fight another day. After all, it's still among the larger phones if you compare it to the total history of smartphone and the first 7 years of the iPhone line.

Also: next year is the last year of the 3-year design cycle. Chassis changes most likely aren't coming until 2023.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
My hope is that Apple will still offer a smaller iPhone at least every couple of years, maybe similar to the iPad mini. The iPhones are on a three-year cycle regarding physical design. There was no mini for the X/XS/11 design. It’s not clear if the 14 will be a new design, or be the last of the 12/13 design cycle. Maybe there will be no mini for the next design cycle (14/15/16 or 15/16/17), but again for the following cycle (17/18+). We’ll see in a couple of years.

Reactions: lpc2 and snipr125

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I could see the mini form factor eventually becoming an SE that is updated every couple of years.
Personally I don’t think so, because the SE was always the "regular size" of the previous iPhone generation. Similar for the iPad, where the budget model is always the "regular" size, not the mini size.

Reactions: Barbareren

onafriday

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
don't be surprised if the reports of the death of the Mini are exaggerated. Lots of people love it.
Maybe, but it seems like sales have been lackluster, and Ming-Chi Kuo is usually right about this stuff. I hope there is a mini next year, but right now I wouldn't bet on it.

Personally I don’t think so, because the SE was always the "regular size" of the previous iPhone generation. Similar for the iPad, where the budget model is always the "regular" size, not the mini size.
Yeah, so maybe they'll end up making something like the XR or 11 (non-OLED, rounded form factor) the new SE. If they do that, I wouldn't be surprised if the mini stuck around as the SE would no longer work for people who wanted a small phone.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
Ming-Chi Kuo is usually right about this stuff
I think people put a little too much stock in the rumours - even the well-respected guys like Ming Chi Kuo get stuff wrong all the time - just a couple of weeks ago that Kuo was reporting about the iPhone 13s being able to make satellite calls!

don't be surprised if the reports of the death of the Mini are exaggerated.
Agreed. This discontinuation narrative seems to be treated as fact, when it seems more like informed speculation to me.

I could see the mini form factor eventually becoming an SE that is updated every couple of years.
I think this is a distinct possibility.

Apple has traditionally preferred streamlined product line-ups. The current iPhones are about in 5 sizes (SE, 13 mini, 13, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max) - this feels like one too many to me. I think the SE serves a purpose for Apple as it gives budget conscious users a way into the ecosystem - kids, company issued phones, etc. I expect in a year or two they’ll be able to sell the mini at that price point, whilst also providing a viable option for users who just want a small phone.

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
I love the 12 mini. Battery life made me order a 13 Pro Max, though. Not very happy.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Nobody knows what will happen with the Mini moving forward. Some people seem so sure there will be no iPhone 14 Mini but I have a hard time believing Apple is ready to kill it off after only 2 years of public release. I predict the 13 Mini will be far more popular just simply because people will be able to see it in store with their own eyes which wasn't the case last year for a lot of people and the 12 Mini.

I remember a lot of people claiming the iPad Mini was dead because it was too close to a phone and the sales weren't as strong as the regular iPad.

The fact is that even though the Mini doesn't sell as many as the regular iPhone it still sells a heck of a lot more than most any other cell phone out there. It may receive alterations but I don't see the Mini type phone going away. There is a place for it and the numbers show as much.

FlyingScot

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
South Florida
I am moving from an 11 pro to 13 mini. My wife has the 12 and it is very very good, 13 mini is better. As noted above, don’t think Apple will only offer large phones. Something will come about and I hope it is a mini pro or something. There was a time we valued light weight and smaller size how giant became the norm is beyond me. I keep phones 3 years or so, about right for the Pro Mini ;) in 2024 or so.

Arcade24

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
I held onto the original SE until the SE2 came out, and I would’ve waited longer but my original SE was in rough shape. I’m switching over to the 13 mini now and I’ll hang onto this thing for five plus years if I have to until there’s something suitable for my smaller hands.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
If the 13 mini (currently ordered) works out well, personally I will consider this a “solved problem” for at least the next 3 years. Trying to predict what Apple’s lineup looks like in 2024 at the earliest is basically impossible, so I will keep my eye on what they’re putting out and be hopeful that a compact solution is available the next time I need it.
It will be a car accessory

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Got my 12 mini now, and will get the 13 mini in the next couple of months when the price lowers a bit, or I can find a good friend who works at the Apple store to get me 17% off hehe! The 13 mini should last me a couple of years until the Apple flip phone comes along. If Apple re-introduce the 5.8" screen size then I don't mind that size either. But who knows, maybe Apple will keep the Mini form factor so lets see what happens. I reckon Apple will always try and cater to the small iphone crowd with at least one model in the line up.

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
I’m actually very satisfied with the mini, the same feeling when I had my SE 2016. I upgrade every year, but these two small phones made me skip a year. The only caveat is battery life but since I’m working from home now it became acceptable to me.

In the future who knows. I still might stick with this mini.

Reactions: prazakj

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Most of the more reputable leakers are saying 6.1" and 6.7" iPhone 14 and 14 Pro...the 6.7" 14 replacing the mini. I'll hang on to my 13 mini till a future iPhone has a feature I just can't live without and that will probably be a while.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I plan on hanging onto the 13 mini and if need be, hoarding several more for future use.

I get the sentiment and I keep my iPhones for a long time too.

But how does having extra 13 mini's extend it's shelf life from a software perspective?

When we're at iOS 22, that iPhone 13 might start to feel sluggish. Of course one can stay on iOS 15, but you'd probably lose out on the new features of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.