Loyal customer, bought 3gs on launch date, no upgrade till 2/2011

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sportykid2332, Jun 8, 2010.

1. sportykid2332 macrumors regular

Is there any reason for this? AT&T has always supported early adopters and now I'm stuck with a 2/2011 upgrade date! Even my brother who bought a 3G on launch date has a upgrade date of 7/2011. Is there any chance these will be changed?

2. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Um, quit crying over spilled milk? You can probably unlock and hawk your 3Gs on ebay for anough to cover an iPhone 4.

3. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

....and so whats your point? I bought the 3G on launch date and wasnt able to get the 3Gs. :rolleyes:

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's called a contract. You signed one when you bought your 3GS. I suggest reading it.

5. sportykid2332 thread starter macrumors regular

I apologize. I was under the impression that all launch day 3G people were given the upgrade after AT&T realized they made a mistake.

And to the first poster, yes I'm aware of this, no reason to be a dick though.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You signed a 24 month contract last June so 2/2011 is an early upgrade. :confused:

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

AT&T never made a mistake with the 3G launch people. Some were allowed an early upgrade, depending on the circumstances. They are doing the same this year. It doesn't apply to you. No mistake has been made.

8. sportykid2332 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but our bill is almost $200 so I was under the impression that our upgrades were even earlier than that.

9. g8orballboy macrumors regular

Yes, its not like those of us who missed the cut (unlike you i'm assuming) are bitching about the fact that our date should be moved up to launch as well... it does kinda suck that because of a 2 month difference (those with release dates in 12/10 vs 2/11) there is an 8 MONTH difference in when we'll get the phone. I called AT&T about this and its not just a matter of how much your bill is (I'm the primary of a family plan and pay plenty a month and i've never missed or been late on a payment thanks to auto-pay), but apparently its an extremely complex formula based on 150 variables that determines elligible upgrade date. So obviously there's some type of variable holding me back, but its not a transparent one and it kinda sucks that my friend, who pays less a month than i do and got his 3GS on launch day like I did, gets to upgrade EIGHT MONTHS before me!!! I understand they can't just push the date back indefinitely, if not 6, why not 7, 8 or 9.... but if they do set it at 6 months and say everyone who has it 6 months or earlier can bump up by 6 months, they should carry that bump for everyone else. So maybe let everyone else get it exactly 6 months before their current elligibility if they're after 12/2010. So my friend, who was 2 months ahead of me, would remain 2 months ahead of me when I'd be able to upgrade in August. Its not about Entitilement or anything, its very generous of AT&T to pull a promotion like that... it just leaves the rest of us who just BARELY missed the cut (yes, there's people who's elligibility was 1/1/2011 who missed the cut by a day) feeling like we're on the outside of a party looking in since we're not on the VIP list. If they give a deal to customers, it would be nice... though not required obviously because a contract is a contract... to extend at least a similar deal to the rest of their customer base, instead of creating jealousy thanks to a few people having all the right variables and a few unlucky ones like myself who are left out in the cold wondering what they did or didn't do to not get a bump....

just my $0.02

10. tlbwriter macrumors regular

Some posters are reporting that their eligibility status changed overnight. Check it again.

11. aneftp macrumors 601

We need to sticky ATT upgrade paths; too many people complaining they aren't eligible for upgrades and need to be educated on ATT's policy.

First of all, it's not your TOTAL bill that counts to ATT (so many people have family lines...that's why people complain their bills are over $200 but their lines don't qualify).

It's YOUR PRIMARY line that gets you the early 12 month upgrades if you spend more than $100 on voice/data (they exclude text). The secondary lines won't be eligible for upgrades until around month 18, or 21 depending on how much revenue the secondary lines generate (most people have to wait till Feb 2011, assuming they purchased the 3GS in June 2009. I believe you have to spend more than $60 each on your secondary lines if you want it eligible for an upgrade every 18 months. But most people are $10 for extra line plus $30 for data=$40= waiting till Feb 2011 for upgrade.

If you are a single plan only and meet certain plan requirement, ATT is doing you a big favor by moving up your upgrades by up to 6 months earlier.

Here are some examples:

Family Plan 89.99 ($80 for first line plus 9.99 for second line) Plus $30 data for each line
    Line 1. Purchased iPhone 3GS June 2009=eligible for full subsidy upgrade June 2010
    Line 2. Purchased iPhone 3GS June 2009=not eligible for full subsidy upgrade until Feb 2011
    Line 3. Purchased iPhone 3GS June 2009=not eligible for full subsidy upgrade until Feb 2011

Single line plan (59.99) plan plus $30 data= Purchased iPhone 3GS in June 2009. Normally you would be eligible for full upgrade in Dec 2010 (18 months) but ATT has been kind to let you upgrade 6 months early so now you are fully eligible.

Single line Plan 39.99 plus $30 for data. Purchased iPhone 3GS in June 2009. You won't be eligible until Feb 2011

Single Line Plan 39.99 plus $30 data. Purchased iPhone 3G in April 2009. Normally they won't be eligible for full subidy upgrade till Dec 2010 but ATT is being kind and moving your full subsidy upgrade to NOW for the new iPhone 4.

So those who are within that 6 months of becoming eligible (eligibility up till Dec 2010) are getting benefits of ATT's early full subsidy they made just for the iPhone.

I hope this helps people figure out why they aren't eligible.

12. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Bought 3G on launch day and didn't become eligible until this March.

13. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Remember, if you're on a family plan, it depends on which line the phone is on. If you're on the main plan (paying say, $100 a month), the 2nd line is added for $10. The second line is going to take longer to subsidize.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Are you on a family plan? That is the only thing I can think of that would delay you being eligible earlier. I bought a 3GS on launch day last year too, and have the least expensive individual plan + $5 SMS. Originally my upgrade date was 11/2010, but got bumped up to June a couple days ago.

If you are on an indiv. plan w/ no discounts then something is odd.

15. aneftp macrumors 601

It doesn't work that way.

You see this example: Primary line user who purchases iPhone 3GS on Jan 10 2010. They use more than $100 on their primary line. They full subsidy upgrade is now Jan 2011.

So they complain that they missed the cut off by "10 days". But by being the primary line user, ATT has already bent over backwards and let them be eligible for a full upgrade 12 months into a 24 month contract. So they should get a full subsidy upgrade 5 months into a contract?

It's only those users who are eligible by Dec 2010 for a full subsidy upgrade get moved up. The guys that spends more money on the primary line already has gotten his move up from 18-21 months all the way up to 12 months. So that's why ATT is keeping his subsidy upgrade at 12 months from the last subsidy upgrade used.

Read my post on single lines/family line upgrades work.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AT&T has altered some people's contract to allow them to now qualify for the discount. They didn't do it for all, and I don't know what logic was used.

That being said, as others stated. You signed a contract and regardless of how much you spend, you have to live within the confines of that contract.

I don't want to sound harsh but not all AT&T customers who signed a 2 year contract are being offered the upgrade price for the iPhone.

17. aneftp macrumors 601

Yep, it's those secondary lines many people are complaining about. But those secondary lines don't generate the same amount of revenue as the primary line or individual lines.

Also cheap family lines (I think my brother in law/sister) have that 550 minute family plan. They both purchased iPhones in June 2009 and aren't eligible for upgrades until Feb 2010 because that primary line only generates 49.99.

I believe you need to be on at least the 59.99 voice individual plan plus $30 data or a family plan of at least $69.99 plus $30 data (assuming ATT's early 6 month policy for the iPhone 4).

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There was no cut for me. I bought the 3G on launch day, kept my 3G when the 3GS was announced, rather than complain about me not getting an early upgrade, and as of March, I'm eligible for an upgrade but I have absolutely no interest in buying the iPhone 4 or any iPhone that may be released in the future.

19. g8orballboy macrumors regular

Were you hugged as a child?

20. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Excuse me but you bought it an year ago, what do you expect? No one gives you 'freebies' after an year. Was already good that they did the 6 months thing.

21. jtara macrumors 65816

This is ATT you're dealing with.

You spend $200/month, they know they've got you good. Why offer incentives?

22. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Well you should have skipped the 3GS like most of us did.

23. blockheads88 macrumors member

I Just called AT&T and they would not talk to me about the upgrade and told me i have to hit *NEW# and then i will receive the info. And then they told me to go to a store and waste more time b/c they would be able to help me a little bit further.
    this is so stupid from AT&T

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why you ask? Because I don't want an iPhone? :rolleyes:

25. tantyatx macrumors newbie

I preordered my 3GS on whatever the first day was to pre-order last year. My contract was said to be up for a full upgrade in 2/2011 however when I checked yesterday it said I was NOW currently eligible.