LTE: Can someone please make sense of this table on Apple's Web site?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shunting123, Sep 17, 2014.

1. shunting123 macrumors member

I'm trying to understand the differences between the iPhone 6 models.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

-1- Is it correct that there is an iPhone 6 model A1586, A1586 (GSM), and an A1586 (CDMA)? Three separate models all with basically the same model number? This sounds a bit silly.

-2- Looking at the lists of LTE bands, can someone please explain why the top two models would not work with any UK carriers? For example, the "3" network inside the UK: this company uses LTE bands 3 and 20. Given these two bands are listed in the top section, why would only the bottom model work for this network?

Thank you.

2. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

dont even worry about the chart. The Iphone 6 model sold in your country will work on the LTE band of the carrier you buy it from. Relax.

3. shunting123 thread starter macrumors member

Let me state the question another way:
    Why won't the T-Mobile phone sold by Apple work on UK LTE?

4. cnick6 macrumors regular

cnick6

Read the fine print:

LTE band support is based on iPhone model number and configuration for either CDMA or GSM networks. LTE wireless service may not be available even if listed bands are supported by your carrier.

Here's a better chart to reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths

5. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

That would be a question for your carrier. I see no reason why it shouldn't work. As long as it is purchased directly from Apple, it'll be factory unlocked. There it's always a chance however that it won't work.

Why are you planning to bust the UK soon?

6. shunting123 thread starter macrumors member

Yes - the UK carriers are GSM.

I guess what I don't understand is this:

The UK carrier "3" only offers two LTE bands: 3 and 20. "3" is not only selling the iPhone 6, but also says that the iPhone 6 will be able to use 4G on its networks.

How is it that all US iPhone 6 models say that they are compatible with bands 3 and 20 yet there is a chance they wouldn't work on this UK carrier's 4G? It seems a bit impossible, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. It also means Apple's chart would have to be erroneous/misleading.

(adding: was planning to buy the phone in the US and bring it to the UK)

Thank you.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's not that the other models won't work (assuming that they're unlocked), but rather that they're not supported. If you're in the UK then you're expected to have a UK phone and AppleCare UK presumably hasn't been trained on the subtleties of foreign models.

8. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Those actually used to be A1549 (GSM), A1549 (CDMA) and A1586. Chances are the GSM and CDMA versions will work just fine as long as they're unlocked. They just won't be officially supported.