LTE Data Not Working with iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Resist, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I waited before upgrading my iPhone 5 iOS to 8.1, now I wish I never had. LTE shows 3 to 4 bars and yet can't make a connection for data. I've tried cycling LTE is Settings, rebooting the phone and cycling Airplane Mode. Sometimes it works for a short time but them my LTE Data speeds go back to being extremely slow. However, 4G Data is very speedy, just not LTE. LTE used to work just fine prior to upgrading to iOS 8.

Why can't Apple get their software fixed BEFORE releasing it?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Reset network settings?

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Already tried that, it didn't help.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Carrier?

The reason I ask is because I had full bars and couldnt surf on my iPhone. Went to a Verizon store and they replaced my SIM card and all is well now. (this was on my iPhone 5 running 8.1)

5. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

AT&T.

I Didn't have this issue with iOS 7.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That Doesn't matter.

My wife's iphone 5 is also on 8.1 and hers works fine. Mine didn't work because my SIM card was bad. You have nothing to lose by getting a replacement SIM card.

7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I hear you but I think it's highly unlikely that the SIM card went bad just when I upgraded to iOS 8.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Those were my thoughts exactly. And after I replaced the SIM everything was normal.

9. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

LTE ceasing to work is not a known, consistent issue with iOS 8. If yours is not working, it almost certainly means there is a software or hardware issue at play that is specific to your configuration. Complaining about iOS 8 isn't constructive in this case - you should start trying potential solutions. Assuming you can easily get to a store, replacing the SIM card is quick and easy and has solved the same problem for multiple other users, so why not give it a try?

10. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

11. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Pretty much just your cellular carrier's configuration along with a unique subscriber number. The only user data that is stored on SIMs is (optionally) Contacts, but iOS does not make use of this storage (although it can import from it.)

12. kslingo macrumors member

Book a genius bar appointment to at least see if there is a hardware issue. If there is no hardware issue, go to your carrier.

13. Resist, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Had the SIM card replaced at AT&T, didn't fix the problem. An employee there said her LTE isn't working either because they are still testing LTE in our area and she just keeps her phone to set to 4G for now. I still think it's funny that when I had iOS 7 LTE worked just fine and that I've upgraded to iOS 8 it's messed up.

Oh and I also lost all my saved voicemails. Not sure if it's because the SIM card was replaced or upgrading to iOS 8.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like you need to take this up with AT&T.

15. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I already did. My Visual Voicemails are gone for good, AT&T says upgrading to iOS 8 probably caused it because pressing one on the phone keypad to get to regular voicemail says I don't have any. And since I hadn't checked them after upgrading to iOS 8, I'm tending to believe it is the cause. I just knew I shouldn't have upgraded yet!

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Ok, I'm confused. You said LTE worked for you on iOS 7 but on iOS 8 it did not. You went to AT&T and they said LTE was still being tested in your area so how were you on LTE before if it wasn't available?

Or is this one of those cases were AT&T displays invalid information in the status bar like 4G when the phone didn't even support 4G?

17. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Call yourself from another line or have someone call you and leave a message. I was missing all VM too when first updated phone but that kickstarted it and all my saved messages appeared afterwards. Also if you are not getting cellular data (LTE in your case) visual VM does not work. You have to have cellular data of some sort for visual VM to work.

18. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I never said LTE wasn't available. It is available and was working fine before. Apparently they are doing more testing, which is causing the screw ups.

----------

We already tried that too, and it didn't work. That is why AT&T is saying it must have been my upgrade to iOS 8 that lost my voicemails.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Ok so the issue wasn't iOS 8 but the LTE coverage in your area?

20. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Apparently my LTE issue wasn't iOS 8, this was according to the people at my local AT&T store. But it's still odd that LTE started slowing down AFTER I upgraded to iOS 8, because it worked fine with iOS 7.

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Well, at least the mystery is solved now.