LTE Data usage with Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bwsteg, Apr 20, 2014.

1. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Hello everyone. I've recently switched to verizon after 10 years with Sprint. I like the data speeds except for when I am inside a building.

With Sprint, I never went past 3GB in an entire billing cycle, yet with Verizon after 2 days I have 1.2GB used. I have not used this phone any differently than how I did with Sprint.

Is this normal? After the first day, I used the web on LTE to test it (5-10 minutes) and then turned my phone off. Next day, data was already at .4 used.

Any ideas?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Perhaps your LTE speeds are now faster? If so, you can use more data without realizing because everyone will load faster and allow you to browse more pages, etc. in less time.

3. bwsteg thread starter macrumors 6502

In theory what you're saying is fact and correct. Yes my speeds are faster. So yes I may be using more data than when I was with Sprint.

However its been 2 days and I am past 1GB. At this rate I will end up using 10+ GB on my own by using web browser and twitter. I am not downloading, streaming, youtube, etc. Just regular web browsing..

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

that doesn't seem right. i just passed 1GB used and my line is shared with my wife and also about halfway through our current cycle. we never use more than 3 out of our 6 GB per month. sounds like you have a bunch of apps that may be updating in the background, using up a lot of data that you may not realize. make sure background app refresh is turned off for all apps you don't need it for (i turn it off completely).

the only time i will use 1GB in a few days is if I'm using apple maps for navigation for hours on end or streaming movies.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Settings, Cellular, scroll down to see what's using your data.

6. bwsteg thread starter macrumors 6502

Under use data for tab, all my apps are listed.

Then under system services, it says 2.0gb. Then it lists all items using Mb such as exchange accounts 972mb, messaging 394, etc.

----------

I do have twitter notifications turned on so I get notifications quite a bit throughout the day. But I had the same with Sprint, and I never used more than 3gb in a 1 month span.

I just checked right now and I am at 1.5gb used.

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Well there you go, you have a badly behaving Exchange account. I suggest removing it until you can figure out what's going on.

394MB of messages? Are you sending/receiving a lot of videos? That seems VERY high.

8. bwsteg thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you suggest I remove emails and reinsert them? I have hotmail and gmail

Also, I don't send any videos.

9. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

I blame hotmail's POP account.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, the settings dont lie.
    Everything is listed there.
    Maybe change your email account from push to fetch as manual or something.

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I turn off my data when Wi-fi is available. I noticed in my home, LTE will take over whenever the signal is weak. So I turn cellular and wifi off whenever I'm not using my phone.

Some of the Apps I don't use the Background Refresh located under General Settings. This will use your cellular data.

12. bwsteg thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive tried everything I can think of so far. I have 1.8Gb used now. Basically jumped from 1.4 this morning to 1.8/9 with very minimal web browsing/twitter.

13. bwsteg thread starter macrumors 6502

Now I am at 1.922 and I was on wifi the entire time...

----------

My LTE service is weak in my apartment so I doubt LTE is trying to take over the Wifi connection...

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Hmmm Maybe try the restore option… Hold down the home button and the on/off button ..

Try turning off everything like wifi and cellular before going to bed. Also close out any apps that's running. Take a screen shot of your Cellular settings screen showing how much you have used. Then in the morning see what you data says.

Also in Settings, go to Phone - Verizon Services - View My Data to let Vrz send you a text message of how much you've used.

If you still have weird numbers, take your phone to Vrz and show them what's going on when you aren't using LTE. Maybe they need to reset or something.