Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which 4G network are you getting on your new iPad?

• AT&T's LTE

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Verizon's LTE

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
So I live in a city where AT&T is already offering LTE, so for me and I'm sure others, I have to choose between AT&T and Verizon for the iPad's 4G connection. I only need to consider price and speed, not their network size since I don't travel often. For what it's worth, my iPhone 4s is on AT&T, which I chose because their 3G was faster and simultaneous voice/data.

MacRumors summaries some of the iPad reviews and two mention Verizon's speed and one AT&T's. The two Verizon speeds, 40 and 22 Mbps down, are faster than the AT&T speed of 14.5. Also, I have read elsewhere, where AT&T is ultimately predicted to be faster, so that contradicts these results.

I may go with Verizon simply so I won't have two devices dependent on the same network, for the rare occasion that might be important. Plus it seems to have won the speed test with the data we have available here.

What are other people's thoughts and opinions. Bare in mind this is in regard to the LTE network, so many of the criticisms between AT&T and Verizon's 3G network I don't think would apply.

drb1992

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
There have been multiple threads about this over the past few days. Use the search feature and I am sure you can find at least one.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I live in San Diego also, and I never had a speedtest over 20 mbps on my VZW 4G LTE mifi anywhere in SD. It's pretty spotty... but when it connects to 4G... it's great. When it connects to 3G, it's slow... but it's still okay. My AT&T 3G is still faster on my iPhone 4. I like having both VZW and AT&T data... so I can switch back and forth... when one has poor reception.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
With LTE coverage being equal, ATT will probably be faster for now, because very few people are using it.

Personally, I just don't trust att in delivering a quality product. Whereas, VZ always builds a solid network with everything they do: Nationwide 3G, FIOS, LTE etc etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.