LTE on Watch is more than $10 per month - almost double!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jeffu, Nov 14, 2017.

1. jeffu macrumors member

So I just looked at my AT&T bill and to my shock that $10 a month charge to enjoy untethered watch access, using the same data I would use on my unlimited phone plan, is running almost double, $16.38! That's just ridiculous and a total rip off. The extra is due to taxes and fees, so on top of the $10, there's a 911 surcharge, and administrative fee, a recovery charge, etc, etc, etc.

That's a complete rip as far as I'm concerned - to begin with this fee should be closer to $5, but I guess they all went with $10, but then to add all the fees on it since it's now another line - it's just not worth it.

Anyone else notice this???

2. Starship67 macrumors regular

Starship67

2nd star to the right and straight on til morning

No because I have T-mobile and all the fees are in the $10

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Personally, I don't care for AT&T. But with My carrier, it's a flat rate $10 charge monthly.

4. jeffu thread starter macrumors member

That makes it even more of a joke that AT&T would add all the fees - I mean really, on a $10 line!

5. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

You did not get the free 3 months with AT&T? I pre-ordered and got that offer, however, now I am bit pissed to here they are going to almost hit me with $20.00 for the watch when the 3 months is up. Might just cancel for the winter and add it back in the spring/summer when I run outside and what not.

:apple:

6. jeffu thread starter macrumors member

Yep, got the 3 month credit - I guess I'm just more shocked at the fees. At the start I thought $10 was a reach considering it's just an extension of my phone data and if I had my phone with me it would be fed off that data, which I have unlimited - but for that $10 to go to over $16, anyone looking at that can see it's a rip and just a way to bilk users for more $$.

7. deeddawg, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

deeddawg macrumors 604

Is this your first bill with the watch?

Chances are you're seeing not only prorated charges for the initial period plus the charge for the upcoming month, but also taxes and fees for both periods... and also taxes on the activation charge.

8. jeffu thread starter macrumors member

I think, I'll have to check. I chatted with an AT&T rep and they said that was just the way additional lines work, they always charge all the taxes and fees on extra lines and this is considered an extra line.

Just checked - that will be a monthly fee. They also added a $25 activation fee for the $10 line - so even more $$!

9. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

While I agree that $10 is outrageous, it's still acceptable. $16 is truly obscene. But I'd have to add that rounding that up to "$20/month" is slightly hyperbolic. It's not even close to being almost double.

I'm still in first three months with Verizon. I really hate how both Verizon and ATT bills are completely opaque and unintelligible.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Hate to break it to you but Apple has to add these fees!

T-Mo is paying the fees for you but I still refuse to have to go outside to make and receive calls.

11. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

It’s AT&T, Always the Wrong Choice
    Verizon isn’t much better with taxes fees and surcharges.

Maybe if it were another line and handset, but the watch is just and extension
    Of screen and keyboard

12. jeffu thread starter macrumors member

Agreed, I'm probably somewhat over-reacting - I guess I was just caught off guard by the extra amount. I really did have to think about how often I would use it to justify $10, I just don't see it being worth $16.

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Please note that with AT&T you will receive a credit for up to $55 for the first 3 months of service (3x10) and the $25 Activation fee in 2/3 billing periods.

General Comment: The use of cellular service is "Optional" on the Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular) and as such you are not required to pay for service if you don't want to use the features that make use of the cellular service.

Dave

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'v mentioned this elsewhere as well. The first month is going to be more expensive as they typically pro-rate the fees, and charge taxes on the activation fee (even if its waived). Users are now reporting $12-13 per month depending on your state for total line charge with fees and taxes. Here in Los Angeles area, its just under $13 a month with fees and taxes on AT&T. (Got 2 cellular watches in my household).

15. jeffu thread starter macrumors member

Yes, this is the second month - so it is going to be $16.38 per month if you live in Illinois - love the taxes here :)

16. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Was just going to mention to him about the $55.00 credit, which takes care of the activation fee and first three months.

I think after the first three months, I will cancel for the winter since I do not walk/jog/run outside in the winter. Also, I have a badly beaten up back AND now doctors think I have a hernia so I cannot do much of anything right now. So, more than likely cancelling.

:apple:

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

There is no way your taxes are higher than Los Angeles.

How much are the taxes and fees for an iPhone line? Based on that, it would be $10+ a line.

18. jeffu thread starter macrumors member

Yep - more than LA -
    Surcharges & fees
    $2.18
    Administrative Fee
    $0.76
    Federal Universal Service Charge
    $0.13
    IL Telecom Relay Service
    $0.04
    Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
    $1.25
    Government taxes & fees
    $4.20
    IL 911 Surcharge
    $3.90
    Municipal Telecommunications Tax
    $0.15
    State/Municipal Telecommunications Tax
    $0.15

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

That is ridiculous. Here is SoCal (Unlimited iPhone Line).

Surcharges & fees
    $3.46
    Administrative Fee
    $0.76
    Federal Universal Service Charge
    $1.41
    Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
    $1.25
    State Public Utility Surcharge
    $0.04
    Government taxes & fees
    $1.08
    CHCF A
    $0.05
    Relay Service Device Fund
    $0.07
    State 911 Tax
    $0.11
    Teleconnect Fund
    $0.16
    Universal Lifeline
    $0.69

Your state is killing you in 911 tax, and government taxes and fees.

20. dave006 Contributor

dave006

That would be because Illinois is basically bankrupt, so each entity is trying to make any money to cover an unfunded Retirement pension Benefit liability. Last time I looked it was $250 Billion!

Dave

21. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I’m guessing if they give you a bill credit for the first 3 months “free” that you are paying the ~$6-7/month for those 3 months? If the credit is $55($10 x 3 + $25) that doesn’t cover the fees and taxes. Kind of a rip off either way

22. madgalaxy macrumors member

It is considered a voice line so there will be local, state and federal taxes. I was under no impression that it would only be $10 and knew it would be closer to $15.

23. le.bouch macrumors regular

le.bouch

For once (and possibly the first time ever) it pays to be in the UK for an Apple-related charge. EE give 6 months free and then charge £5 / $6.59 (today) per month all-in.

Compare and contrast with the £1000 / $1317 we are charged for the base iPhone X or £429 / $565 for the base 42mm LTE watch itself...

24. Mikeeee macrumors regular

Mikeeee

Canada is also doing well. $5 per month and first 3 months free.

25. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

While I understand that you’re trying to tell the OP that he can cancel his service, your comment is a bit obtuse as this applies to everything but taxes. Just because he doesn’t HAVE to pay for it doesn’t mean that AT&T isn’t bilking it’s customers for something that doesn’t really add or minimally adds to AT&Ts network usage. In any case he doesn’t HAVE to pay AT&T at all and its customers can send a louder message by canceling their Serbians signing on with a cheaper provider.