Carrier LTE question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SmileyDude, Nov 13, 2013.

1. SmileyDude macrumors regular

SmileyDude

I know that all LTE iPads are carrier unlocked, but does that also mean that it doesn't matter what my carrier choice is when I purchase it? For example, can an AT&T iPad be put onto Verizon's or Sprint's network later on?

I'm only asking because I know that with the iPhone, for example, if you buy a GSM model, you can't stick it onto a CDMA network later. But if you buy a CDMA model, you can put it onto a GSM network once it's unlocked. Do they do something similar with the iPad where you have to buy the Verizon/Sprint version to have the ability to activate them on those networks?

Looking at this page on apple.com leads me to believe that it shouldn't be a problem, but I want to make sure before I lay down any money :)

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You are correct. All of the models will accept all carrier's SIM cards.

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Unfortunately, yes, kinda the same issue. There's no technical reason why it can't be done given all the Airs and rMinis are the same under the hood. For now, though, Verizon and Sprint still haven't embraced the GSM model and are making it difficult for users who didn't buy Verizon/Sprint iPads to activate on their network.

Of course, if you've already got an activated SIM card from another device, you can usually just swap it into your Air or rMini and it will work. It's just the activation and SIM card acquisition that Verizon/Sprint is making a pain.

4. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

best bet is to buy a verizon ipad just so you'll have a verizon SIM card. It's extremely difficult to get one standalone

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

A couple of people have posted that Verizon maintains a database of approved devices, so probably best to buy that one and use various SIMs.

6. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Yep. I bought a Sprint iPad, and I'm currently using it with T-Mobile. I tried putting in an unactivated Verizon SIM and it refused to activate.

Bottom line: choose which of the two CDMA carriers you prefer, and buy that model. I went with Sprint because of their cheaper data plan options (especially the $15 for 2GB postpaid plan).

7. SmileyDude thread starter macrumors regular

SmileyDude

Good to hear -- I'm leaning towards picking up a Verizon model, only because their coverage is a better in general than the others. Sprint's prices do look better -- but if I was to guess (and I totally am here :) ), I would guess that Sprint will start activating SIMs for random iPads before Verizon would.

Ultimately, though, I'm planning on using a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM for the most part. So this is really just about picking my third choice than anything else :)

Thanks for the responses!

8. Joal6 macrumors newbie