LTE support

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Metz77, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Metz77 macrumors newbie

So latest rumours from the web suggest no LTE for Apple Watch 2 / Apple Watch S. Reason suggested is that it would be too much of a drain on the battery and Apple will leave until future upgrade.

Yesterday Samsung announced LTE for a version of their gear3 watch, with a battery life of 3 days!! Got me wondering what's so different with the Apple Watch that's using up all the battery power??

2. Julien, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is battery/watch size. The Samsung Gear is super huge and has room for a much larger 380mAh battery.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that battery time rating is extremely subjective with no absolute way to measure for an accurate and objective comparison. Apple tends to be VERY conservative while Samsung is usually much more liberal.

3. Metz77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I guess, although the 380mAh battery doesn't seem 2 extra days compared to that of the 334mAh possibly planned for new Apple Watch

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I think the core OS code in the AW is a heavy battery drain, so any additional feature drain has a huge impact. Even without GPS and a cellular radio, the AW is by far the shortest battery life on the market compared to other smart watches. Granted, some of that is the AW's smaller battery. But, the battery is not 1/2 or 1/3 the size of the batteries in other units.

Apple probably is not going to make the OS much more efficient, so we are in a state of waiting for low power processor technologies and battery technologies to catch up.