LTE/Verizon and AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

With both Verizon and Att implementing LTE will it level the playing field in regards to who has the best coverage?

Currently one carrier is CDMA and one is GSM so it's sort of comparing apple to oranges per say. I assume with LTE both will have almost exact technology.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I think it's the same technology but Verizon already has a head start with LTE set up in 38 markets. Att already tout's their 3g network as faster than Verizons 3g but in the end its all about coverage ;)

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Coverage has nothing to do with CDMA vs GSM. Especially since AT&T's GSM is now WCDMA based (the towers don't reach quite the same distance).

It's primarily a factor of capital invenstment and how technology decisions over the years have affected how those investments were spent. Some also argue Verizon got a head start, but I'd like to remind them that the companies that comprise AT&T started before most of the companies that comprise Verizon (PrimeCo being the largest IIRC.)

4. shadrap macrumors 6502

Basically there 3G areas will be made 4G. So AT&T will still suck vs Verizon. They need to expand the size of there network. Edge should be made 3G and what's 3G should be made 4G.

I believe Verizon's LTE network will be killing all other carriers. They plan on a full roll out by 2013. So that large 3G map will be LTE.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4G is a myth

6. kevink2 macrumors 65816

My guess is that what the OP was thinking of is whether Verizon and ATT could use each other's towers. For roaming.

So even if ATT doesn't have coverage in North Dakota, and Verizon blanketed it with LTE, ATT customers might be able to use their phones in ND.

I suspect that it will work like it does now with compatible technologies. You won't be able to roam on the other company's towers if your company thinks you should have coverage in the area you are in. If, for instance, ATT has Edge coverage in an area, and Verizon has LTE, you probably won't be able to use the LTE. Even if you can't pick up the Edge service. But in a whole area that ATT isn't covered, they may be able to negotiate roaming service.

Roaming is expensive.

I can remember a couple years ago in a hotel in Miami. My sister has TMobile. I have ATT. On the ocean side of the hotel, I was lucky to get text messages through. She had great coverage. Other side of the hotel, I had decent coverage. Since ATT had coverage in the area, the phone wouldn't roam.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    No, for two reasons:

1) As others have noted, Verizon plans to cover all their current 3G area with LTE.

2) Verizon paid for the best bandwidth and coverage in the FCC auction. AT&T has been backfilling by buying coverage from other companies, but can't reach Verizon levels. So Verizon will be faster and more places.

Unfortunately, it's widely assumed that AT&T and Verizon will not spend much, if any, effort making sure their first LTE devices work on each other's frequencies or networks.

No idea about later, but I wouldn't expect it.

PS. "per se", not "per say".

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, AT&T is behind the everyone one the whole 4G roll out. I guess they're not as bad off as T-Mobile who rebranded HSPA+ as 4G, which AT&T complained, but now they themselves are going to call 4G, until there LTE network is rolled out sometime in 2012. That is it appears at&t will have two different "4G" networks to confuse their customers with

9. thetexan macrumors 6502a

It's widely assumed that since LTE is a "GSM" technology AT&T already has a head start, but from my understanding LTE and GSM are similar in namesake only. AT&T will need to overhaul their entire network just as much as Verizon will have to do, and Verizon already has a huge head start.

At this rate, Verizon's LTE network will be larger than AT&T's 3G network by the end of the year.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I just saw a commercial for Metro PCS 4G/LTE. LOLz.

11. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

You are correct sir! I don't know how or why this silly thought has persisted this long, but GSM the technical standard has nothing to do with LTE. It's not backwards compatible in any way, shape or form.

Correct again. Actually Verizon has been taking steps to get good backhaul to nearly every site (exceptions exist, mainly very rural and inaccessible areas) for a while now - they've been prepping not only for LTE but also for the iPhone arriving.

I think this is probably correct, in terms of both square miles covered and POPs - but I don't know for sure when this will occur, may be end of the year or it may be into 2012 - but it's not far. VzW smells blood in the water and they're going to keep moving aggressively.

12. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Not sure why this would prompt a LOL...

If you fit into the market-space that they're targeting, then it could be a very good deal.

Note, I'm certainly not in their target demographic, so I'd never consider Metro PCS. One also needs to consider that Metro PCS is likely never going to be able to get the really cool and sexy devices (read: LTE iPhone) that other carriers will get, at least initially. Nor are they going to have anything close to nationwide coverage.

So, if all you need is LTE speed - say, with a dongle - within the area where they offer service, then it's probably fine.

13. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

What makes you think that Verizon LTE will be bigger that At&t 3G network by the end of this year?

14. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

I understand that Verizon maybe ahead of the game however it's hard to believe that Verizon will always stay ahead of the game.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sad thing is while you're LOLing, Metro PCS has 4G before AT&T :rolleyes:

16. thetexan macrumors 6502a

It was really more sarcasm than anything. It just seems that Verizon is being far more aggressive on network enhancements than AT&T is. The problem is either perception or reality so AT&T is either not doing much for their network or not bragging enough about it.

17. nosser macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

AT&T has already upgraded their network to hspa+ and they're 80% done with the backhaul. It is true though that Verizons coverage is better in certain areas. But imagine being on verizon lte and then going to an area without it. You'll drop to evdo where as Att lte would fall back to hspa+. The issue with Att is changing 2g sites to 3G. Thy won't be able to complete that until they get everyone off of 2g phones.

18. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

the crooks at att will mostly likely sell 4G in tiers; calling HSPA+ 4G, with HSPA+ being one amount and LTE being called faster 4G priced at a even higher amount!:(

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Verizon's 3G coverage at least exists in several times the area of ATT's 3G.

Yes, with Verizon you'd fall back to EVDO 3G.

With ATT's lack of coverage, you could easily fall back to EDGE instead of UMTS-3G, the moment you drove outside of an LTE area.

20. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

With all the capitol Att has why wouldn't they be competitive in regards to coverage? If you provide inferior coverage compared to Verizon then you won't retain customers.

21. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Mainly because Verizon has always had an eye towards network performance and reliability as a key competitive aspect. This involves spending a lot of money, something SBC and Cingular (AT&T is just a brand name at this point) declined to do, now it's going to bite them in the rear.

Vendor: "It will take $11M to fix this issue correctly. What do you want to do?"

Verizon answer: "We'll have the PO cut today. Get your people lined up, we can start as early as tonight."

AT&T answer: "We'll get back to you. That seems like a lot of money."

22. landscapeman macrumors regular

The only reason why they would not is If they get complacent. So far it has not seemed that way, but you never know.

23. thetexan macrumors 6502a

A problem AT&T faces in the future is their massive landline side of their business is getting killed financially. They're facing stiff competition from cable companies along with cell phone carriers and people are shedding their landline phones like no tomorrow. AT&T can't stay competitive on enterprise broadband either. My company is getting a fiber optic line put in next week, about 70% cheaper than what AT&T quoted us. This is hurting their overall bottom line.

Verizon also has a landline side of the business but nowhere near the size of AT&T's so Verizon is hurting less overall. Also Verizon has been selling entire markets of their landline business to smaller, regional companies.

Sprint got out of the landline business years ago and is now entirely a wireless company with maybe some enterprise level broadband.

24. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Right Now VZW has the Best 4G strategy, I like they are implementing LTE with strong bandwidth and CDMA as fallback. Plus per the FCC auction VZW purchased LTE bandwidth that was much stronger than att's blocks

I am not liking the tiered 4G approach by att of having HSPA+ and LTE.
    The crooks at att will mostly likely sell 4G in tiers; calling HSPA+ 4G, with HSPA+ being one amount and LTE being called faster 4G priced at a even higher amount!

25. icyfire macrumors 6502

It all depends on who spends the most cash on upgrading towers and rolling out fiber backhaul. Right now verizon has lte running in 40 cities with a full rollout by 2013 and att has nothing. Take ur guess of who will come out ahead.