LTE version or Not?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Mar 8, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Have a tethering plan so don't really need a LTE version for web use but the GPS feature is of interest.

If I understand correctly ,
    maps position data when tethered to a wifi iPad updates only once a minute or so,
    but the LTE iPad would update continuously even if tethered?

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

It depends on your needs. No one on this forum can tell you otherwise. Instead of asking other people to make decisions for you make one for yourself as that's the only way you'll be satisfied.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you got the money get the LTE added as it will not hurt your resale in the future. I found that the 3G added to my iPad 2 was a life saver mutiple times. If money is tight and you do not need LTE, let that be the guide.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

I have an ipad 1 with the 3G. I have never used the 3g (that's right NEVER).

At first I tethered off my iphone then my ipad use tapered off as the IP1 is heavy. So I left it home.

Still...I would not buy an ipad without the 3G/4G as I dont want to limit my use (or resale).

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I remember not being near WiFi for two weeks! The 3G was slower but it saved the day! Like you I consider it a good investment!

6. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Not sure about LTE and resale value?

The wifi model seems to resell the quickest around here,
    most dont want to pay extra for a 3G model...

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get what you need, not what you think you can resell it for.

If you think you'll need 4G speeds and are frequently outside of WIFI then buy the LTE flavor.

8. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

The base wifi model will always have the best resale value, % return.

It's the GPS on the LTE that interests me ...

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

IF it is about money, no doubt the WiFi model will sell the best.

10. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Same here. (except for your last sentence) Im still using my ipad1 and opted for 3G. I have used it once though. Once in 2 years isn't enuff for me to go down that road again. tethering with an iPhone will get the job done for the rare occasions where wifi isn't available. Besides, the 3G version is ugglier and is more expensive. There will be no cellular on my next iPad.

11. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I'm always home so I just got the wifi version. It depends on your needs. If I traveled a lot for work I may have gotten it, but I work from home.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

How is the 3G model more ugly? Because of the black area on the back of the unit:p

I have not even seen that in months and months as as case protects the back of my iPad.

13. superstarmc macrumors regular

If you already have a tethering plan with your phone, why pay for a second data plan?

14. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

True, but GPS is only on the LTE model.

GPS should work even when tethered with real time updates?

That was my original question in the thread, still unanswered :)

15. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Had a 32GB Black Wifi ordered but just called and changed it to 32GB Black LTE Verizon. I decided that there will be instances when I would probably LIKE to have LTE available when traveling and on vacation plus the GPS is a nice addition. And as usual Apple CS was awesome and they were able to get around the issue of already having funds authorized on my gift card and credit card by just authorizing the difference to my credit card.

What really pushed me over the edge though was the 1GB option re-appearing and also free hotspot.

16. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Because you will get double the data. I imagine I will use ALL the data on my iPhone AND the ones from the LTE account by the end of the month.

And you won't drain your phone's battery and take the extra minutes turning on Personal Hotspot everytime you need to look up a quick webpage or map or restaurant info or anything that uses the net. I imagine this will get tedious quick.