LTE version

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fpb1980, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Fpb1980 macrumors regular

I just bought a LTE version since the price was too good to say no. I will probably never activate the LTE. If I don't activate does the cell radio in the phone continue to look for a signal?

Do you just turn off cellular and the watch continues to work?

Thanks.

2. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

You should be fine. Many folk had service and then disconnected it and are still enjoying the fact it's twice the storage space etc.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

In the USA: AT&T. Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprit all allow a 3 month free trial. If you are certain that you have no need to even try LTE service. Simply choose to ignore the option to set it up during the initial set up during the initial paring to your iPhone.

This will prevent the ability to Toggle LTE on at a later date. If you do change your mind, you could always set up LTE from the Watch app on the paired iPhone at any time.

Note: Without setting up the LTE service, the LTE radio does not have the ability to turn on, search for a signal, or use and battery services.

The Seines 3 (GPS+Cellular) will function just like s standard non-LTE unit. No continuous nag screens trying to get you to enable LTE

Dave

4. Fpb1980 thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect! Thank you.

5. justiny Contributor

justiny

I’ve been searching for an answer to this since the S3 was released, and I’ve been told by other forum members and those who currently work at Apple that the S3 with cellular has the capability of calling emergency services in the U.S., the same way a deactivated cell phone would have the same ability to call 911.

I really want to upgrade to the S3 but have little justification to spend $10+ taxes/month for cellular on the watch. The only exception to this for me would be when I go jogging outside and I leave my iPhone at home, with the (hopefully) extremely rare occasion where I would need to contact emergency services (hope I didn’t just jinx myself).

6. Fpb1980 thread starter macrumors regular

isn't there a toggle to turn off the LTE service even if I don't pay the $10 a month?

7. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

I was on the fence as to disconnect until a couple of weeks ago when I left my phone at the office and wasn't able to pick it up until the next day. Then last week I left it in my truck when it was having an oil change.

I think my brain is in league with Verizon.... :eek:

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

There is no LTE service to turn off. The function of the LTE toggle changes if your remove that $10 wearable plan or if it has not been set up. The LTE toggle will always be "Gray" and if you press it then you get the following messages:

No Cellular Plan
    You can add a cellular plan in the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.​

Dave