All iPads LTE vs wifi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ppone, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ppone macrumors regular

Since the iPad 1, I have always bought the iPad with cellular. However I can say that I haven't used the cellular feature all that much. I have probably used the cellular feature less than 1% of the time.

I finally got the rMini 16GB with wifi and I am happy with that.

How many of you have gotten the LTE or 3g version and never really use it? If you do use the cellular feature heavily, what do you use it for?

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

So u just love donating more money to Apple.......

3. ppone thread starter macrumors regular

It is donating when you don't get anything back for your money :)

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I tend to go with Wi-Fi, since the majority of places I frequent have Wi-Fi (girlfriend's, friends', mom's, dad's, grandparent's, libraries, malls, etc.).

If I'm in need of internet whilst away from Wi-Fi, then I can either (a) use my iPhone, or (b) hotspot/tether my iPhone.

But, if people want to spend an additional $130 up front, plus however much it costs to connect via cellular (I know AT&T is $10/month for Mobile Share, and they also have separate one-time costs), that's on them and they clearly find that convenience valuable.

5. ppone thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I agree wifi is everywhere. You can most likely tether on your phone.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Good on you for recognizing not everyone's preferences/needs are the same. Too many immature little pr!cks on MR these days who cannot get their heads around the concept.

I find cellular to be useful; I use wifi at work, home, and hotels when on the road. It's handy not to screw around with wifi at client sites or every last place I might have lunch or something. Prepaid cellular in the amount of data I usually use is cheaper than switching my phone data to a plan that allows tethering, plus there's the hassle of turning tethering on/off and phone battery drain.

Do I pay a premium for this convenience? Sure, but i can afford it and and it's worth it to me.

7. shadowyman, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

shadowyman macrumors member

shadowyman

I heavily use it. Basically I am doing everything with my mini a phone can. If it was a regular size I think i wouldn't use it that much either but with mini you can carry it around everywhere. I heavily use it for navigation, gps, browsing and emails while on the go.

8. cchunk macrumors 6502

LTE vs wifi

I only used wifi on my iPad 2. But when t mobile was offering free 200 mb, I got the air with cellular. For $100 more it was a pretty easy decision. I only use it for light web searches or email. Plus it'll save my life(not literally) if I ever lose it and can use the find my phone feature.

9. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I had the LTE version of the 3rd gen and found I never used the cellular except for one camping trip. I suggest saving the money and getting a wifi.

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yes, some people actually use their iPad as a business tool and is a Tax deduction. Not just a toy.

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I tether my laptops to my iPad. I've actually been using less data on the phone now that I've gotten an LTE iPad. Also, more convenient to have data connection directly on the iPad when I need to download some data on the spot when in a meeting instead of having to go to Settings >> Bluetooth and waiting for the iPad to tether to my phone.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm opting for the LTE version of the mini this time,because I found that there's just too many places that don't have free wifi. Also when my kids are using it in my car, they're SOL.

I tried tethering but that kills my iPhone 5's battery so I'd rather not go that route.

13. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

On the subject of LTE, I was considering canceling my unlimited data plan on my iPhone so I can tether. AT&T themselves told me I'd be crazy to drop the no longer available data plan. However, I don't know if I come anywhere close to using enough data to be be unlimited and not have tethering capability.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Pretty sure you could find tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands that have cellular and barely use it.

And many that do not have it, and do miss it.

On our older Ipad 1 - we used cellular mostly for email, facebook when traveling. Sometimes for general internet access when hotel internet was crappy, or expensive.

15. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Wouldn't it just matter if you don't have access to wifi regarding the worth of cellular service? Although I have wifi access most of the time what good is a mobile device without a network connection? I want and/or need that connection all the time. So it is worth the $30.00 a month to me.

16. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Sure, why not :D

17. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I bought both my ipads with wifi only. The first one because it is my mum's one and she uses it only at home, when she brings it outside internet is not necessary... and now she can count on an iphone :D.... the second one, mine, is a wifi only because I know I will use it only in places where wifi is available... for other places I can theter or simply use my iPhone.... 130 $ saved and stop... moreover you have to consider you have a monthly subscription to pay even if you aren't using so much the feature, so further savings

18. Robster3 macrumors 68000

For those that have LTE is 1GB enough for email,maps,website browsing or should i go 4GB. Difference is $5 a month?

19. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Ive gotten both wifi and cellular model iPads over the years. To be honest, more often than not I regret not getting the cellular version. I have an iPad mount on my car, which is great for my music. But the current mini I have is wifi only, and enabling and tethering to my phone is just annoying at this point. I would've shelled out the extra $130 for the cellular model if I could do it over.

20. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I just always get a wifi one and use personal hotspot since it's already included in my share plan. It can be annoying connecting sometimes but I maybe use it twice a year on trips.

21. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

For $5 difference, just go with the 4GB. Even with just web browsing and email, I'd often find myself needing to recharge my prepaid 1GB data a few days before the normal recharge date.

22. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I decided to go with the LTE iPad this time. I only do the 1gb over three months plan. It's only for those situations where I really need the data if I'm out and wifi isn't available. It can also help us as a GPS device should we need that. It was an extra $130 bucks but I felt is was a worthwhile investment for me.

YMMV

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

and that is all that really counts. You bought the device that meets your needs. What anonymous random Internet denizens think of your decision is utterly irrelevant. Including me. :D

24. wxman2003 Suspended

I have no problem buying an ipad with LTE. I have no problem using my home wifi, but I do not trust open wifi everywhere else. Talk about a stolen identity waiting to happen. I can download a free program on my laptop, sit in a free wifi location, and watch what everyone is doing on their device. Steal keylogs, passwords, etc. I will pay more for better security and not use open wifi hotspots. And don't forget, with these newest ipads, you can turn you ipad into a hotspot. So if you are on a limited phone plan, you can use your ipad as a hotspot to extend your phone's data usage.

25. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

iPad is not a cell phone

30 a month mite not be much to u, but it certainly is for others.