iPhone XS Max LTE/Wifi Connection Issues on iPhone XS MAX With T-Mobile

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
Hey guys! So I've been reading some of the threads on this and my case deals with T-Mobile. I've had my phone since launch and had always noticed that my phone/wifi/lte connections were spotty but always pushed through and thought "it's ok, it's enough, and it'll get better" but this has been for weeks now. Since I'm past my 14 day return, should I go to an Apple store to see if they can pop my sim into another XS Max or another model to see if my wifi/lte connections get better?

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
There's been reports that Xs and XsMax iPhones with the Intel modem were having problems with LTE. Check to see if you can find some of those posts by searching MacRumors.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
are you running the ios 12.1.1 beta and still having issues? it makes a world of difference.

kingston73

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2015
I think there’s a lot of misinformation here. The betas have worked for some but not everyone.

There’s only 1 modem so saying the intel modem phones have issues is a redundant statement.

My xs max and my wife’s max haven’t had any issues. I’d call either apple or T-Mobile and complain, whoever you bought it from.

nikon1

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Somewhere In South Jersey
Same with my wife’s and my iPhone Xs Max phones. We’re both on T-Mobile and while I run the latest Developer betas (since release day) my wife is running public release, non-beta exclusively and we’ve seen nothing but improvements on our T-Mobile Service, both & voice and data.

tuzzanti

macrumors member
May 9, 2016
I have case open and working with the Senior Engineers about the Wifi and LTE issues.

There is a clear problem with the XS and XR phones using the Intel modems. We do not have an X for testing but Internet users seem to have similar problems. These phones perform exponentially worse as you move further from the Wifi source compared to previous iPhones and Android phones.

We have tested on multiple Wifi networks TWO iPhone XS Max's, OnePlus 6T, Note 9, iPad Pro 2017, TWO iPhone 8 Plus's.

In EVERY test, the XS's perform nearly half the speed as EVERY OTHER DEVICE!

Here are some results averaged from one test location:

OnePlus 6T - 105mbps down - 28mbps up
Note 9 - 103mbps down - 26mbps up
iPhone 8 Plus - 110mbps down - 27mbps up
iPhone XS Mx - 48mbps down - 10mbps up

If we test in the same room as the Wifi source, all devices do 300mbps down and 30mbps up.

The iPhone XS Max's were restored to Factory Defaults and running absolutely no apps that could degrade performance. We have been using SpeedTest by Ookla using the same test servers.

When we called Apple and provided our results, we asked if there were known issues. They had said they had calls on this and one person said they were aware of complaints online. In a very Politicially Correct way they said, "Cleary your test results show there is an issue with devices using the Intel modems."

We have tested these scenarios on iOS 12, 12.1, and 12.1.1 and all have the same results.

We are also seeing Wifi calling issues with the Phone XS Max's. It looks like the modem actually disappears as a device because the Wifi and LTE bars disappear in the upper right areas for a split second. This is when the Wifi call is dropped.

We are also seeing Wireless CarPlay lagging or locking as well. We have two iPhone XS Max's and two 2018 BMW X5's.

It looks like Apple is in SERIOUS trouble with these latest devices baed on Intel modems.

Although we are working with engineers on the issues, we asked about returns as we are past the 30 days. I was told that it would probably NOT be an issue based on the tickets, testing and results we are seeing.

This could and probably should lead to a class action lawsuit if they can't find software fixes for these devices.

Hoping for something positive from Apple.

Reactions: ferretex

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
It would be interesting to see what LTE bands the unlocked iPhones have vs the T-Mobile phones and vise versa.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Have you tried going into Settings - General - Reset and Reset Network Settings? My WiFi would always drop and did this seemed to fix the issue

seezar

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2018
It would be interesting to see what LTE bands the unlocked iPhones have vs the T-Mobile phones and vise versa.
There is only a single model this year. No differences between the unlocked and carrier models other than some come with a specific carrier SIM card.

Reactions: darksithpro

tuzzanti

macrumors member
May 9, 2016
Yea, that is one of the first things we tried and then moved to factory reseting devices. When we didn't get improved results then started testing the seven devices which we mostly factory reset so we could accurate results. We made sure to test two XS devices as well to make sure there wasn't a hardware problem with one of them. Bottom line, there are clearly issues with the Intel modems.

Hoping Apple will get back to us with a software fix in some way. Maybe they can increase power to the modem which could increase signal strengths or performance etc. Unfortunately its not just performance but stability because there are clearly Wifi Calling issues and Wifi CarPlay issues as well.

Now we're thinking about doing some LTE tests with 8 Plus and XS Max devices on Verizon.

Have you tried going into Settings - General - Reset and Reset Network Settings? My WiFi would always drop and did this seemed to fix the issue

Reactions: Fantasigraphic

kingston73

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2015
My issue with the statement “ there’s clearly issues with the intel modems” is that T-Mobile was using them for years and there weren’t threads here saying they had issues. So have T-Mobile users been using subpar phones since the 7 and just didn’t notice they had issues?

Last edited:
Reactions: dooku77

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
T-Mobile has absolutely nothing to do with Intel modems being used in iPhones. What makes you think that they do? The reason Intel modems are now being used in the new iPhones is because of the flap between Apple and Qualcomm. Carriers - T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint do not decide which modem is used in iPhones. Apple decides that.

kingston73

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2015
You clearly don't understand what I'm saying! How did you get that from what I said?
Let me try again.

Since the iPhone 7 TMobile iPhones have used Intel modems.

Nobody complained about the 7, the 8, or the X having poor reception.

Therefore, it cannot be the fault of an Intel modem causing poor reception?

Does that make sense or no?

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Sorry, still don't understand why you think that T-Mobile iPhone 7s have used Intel Modems? Where are you getting that information from? I have a T-Mobile iPhone 7+ that does not have an Intel Modem.

tuzzanti

macrumors member
May 9, 2016
I believe it's the Intel modems specifically being used for the XS and XR's. Hope to know more today.

LucyF

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2019
I am having same issues with xs max when in low lte signal area.

I read the second link at it clearly states that Intel models do NOT perform as well as Qualcomm modems by UP to about 30% on the iPhone 7.

Why there were no complaints on this site for iPhone 7 at the time.??

Reactions: dooku77