Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quad 68030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Colorado
Just looking for some opinions about LTE. I'm upgrading to the iPhone 5 and was wondering if LTE is worth the money.

I've been with AT&T since the first iPhone so I have an unlimited plan with them. I haven't had any issues with their service but LTE speed is hard to resist. Unfortunately, neither AT&T or Verizon have LTE where I live yet. I've heard that Verizon should be here by year's end but AT&T won't until some time next year at the earliest (if I'm lucky).

It just disgusts me when I see Verizon's shared plans that would cost me around $110-120 per month. I only pay $65 per month with my iphone 4 on AT&T now. Is doubling my bill worth it?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If you don't have any issues, it probably isn't worth doubling your bill. LTE will come eventually.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Just looking for some opinions about LTE. I'm upgrading to the iPhone 5 and was wondering if LTE is worth the money.

I've been with AT&T since the first iPhone so I have an unlimited plan with them. I haven't had any issues with their service but LTE speed is hard to resist. Unfortunately, neither AT&T or Verizon have LTE where I live yet. I've heard that Verizon should be here by year's end but AT&T won't until some time next year at the earliest (if I'm lucky).

It just disgusts me when I see Verizon's shared plans that would cost me around $110-120 per month. I only pay $65 per month with my iphone 4 on AT&T now. Is doubling my bill worth it?

You're in the same boat I'm in right now. I'm with att with no LTE in my area and verizon has a ton of LTE towers here. Is there anyone you can share a family plan with? This seems to be the cheapest option for people going to the share everything plans to save money.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
If neither has LTE right now, why not just wait and see which one gets it first. But really, how fast do you need a phone internet connection to be?

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
A couple months ago I visited Calgary and took my iPad 3.....55Mbps down and 28Mbps up consistently. Needless to say regular 3G is painfully slow. Can't wait for the iPhone 5!

Quad 68030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Colorado
Yeah I been thinking no as well. Especially since I usually get around 5-6 Mbits down and almost no dropped calls with my iPhone 4. Thanks guys

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Funny, I have an iPhone with AT&T that I am out of contract.

I thought, forget them and their restrictions, I can jump to Verizon.

Then I got a load of their prices. I was shocked.
For the same $80 plan with AT&T, it was about $120 on V.

Good luck with that, I'll stay where I am at. Luckily, I have let in my area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.