Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I am installing Lubuntu on the power mac in my sig, but after the loading passes it black screens and freezes. What would cause this.

My mac osx on the 500Gig drive shows a no/prohibited sign when booting, what would cause this? Is it a kernel panic?

Can mac osx and lubuntu share the SSD?

More info: 1 TB drive connected to motherboard, sata 1 mode, powered by mac.
500 GB drive connected to motherboard, sata 1 mode, powered by mac.
SSD: Connected to SATA card, sata 3 mode, powered by an AMD pc that is next to the mac.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Surely someone of your knowledge (having decompiled your own ROM, having installed 32GB RAM in your G5, having looked into building an A2 based system - oh, and let's not forgot getting your G5 to run Mountain Lion) would see this as mere stepping-stone to overcome, no?

On a serious note, please don't expect to get much help from any of us here after spreading utter trash around the place for the past 6 months.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Surely someone of your knowledge (having decompiled your own ROM, having installed 32GB RAM in your G5, having looked into building an A2 based system - oh, and let's not forgot getting your G5 to run Mountain Lion) would see this as mere stepping-stone to overcome, no?

On a serious note, please don't expect to get much help from any of us here after spreading utter trash around the place for the past 6 months.
Past behavior is no excuse to trash-talk someone. I don't mean to come off as preachy, but stuff like this gives off a very bad impression of our community. If you don't agree with what he says, that's fine, but refrain from derailing a perfectly valid question; instead just don't participate in the thread - if no-one replies with help then perhaps he might take a few moments to consider why. Similarly, instead of slandering him in other threads, emphasize the truth and politely swat away any disinformation / misconceptions so that people aren't led astray. Don't take that as a personal dig, I mean it in a general scope.

To the OP:
What graphics card do you have installed?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I am installing Lubuntu on the power mac in my sig, but after the loading passes it black screens and freezes. What would cause this.

My mac osx on the 500Gig drive shows a no/prohibited sign when booting, what would cause this? Is it a kernel panic?

Can mac osx and lubuntu share the SSD?

More info: 1 TB drive connected to motherboard, sata 1 mode, powered by mac.
500 GB drive connected to motherboard, sata 1 mode, powered by mac.
SSD: Connected to SATA card, sata 3 mode, powered by an AMD pc that is next to the mac.

What graphics card do you have, as Wildy said. A while back it was a Quadro 4500, then it was a GTX 680 (your own ROM, perhaps?) and now it is a "discrete nVidia GPU".

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Are you using the live cd or the alternate installer? If you haven't tried it yet, I would suggest the alternate installer while connected to the Internet to see if you can at least get through the install. Also there are two PowerPc ISOs, one of which is specific to the G5. Please make sure you are using the correct one.

Also check the Ubuntu ppc known issues and FAQ. There may be information specific to your machine there.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Are you using the live cd or the alternate installer? If you haven't tried it yet, I would suggest the alternate installer while connected to the Internet to see if you can at least get through the install. Also there are two PowerPc ISOs, one of which is specific to the G5. Please make sure you are using the correct one.

Also check the Ubuntu ppc known issues and FAQ. There may be information specific to your machine there.

I tried both.
The alternate red screen of deathed when the disk partitioner came up.
The live boot black screened on boot.

----------

What ISO did you use, what guide did you follow and did you download Yaboot?

Both isos.
No guide. I installed like on an intel mac.
I did not download yaboot.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
From what I have seen on the Ubuntu FAQ, you definitely want the 64bit ppc iso. Did you try any of the yaboot prompts (video=ofonly)? Please check the Ubuntu PPC FAQ and known issues page and take it step by step. I would recommend only using the alternate installer.

You noted that you got stuck at the partition page. Are you attempting an install of a blank unformatted disk, or are you trying to dual boot? If you are dual booting, you will first need to free up space using disk utility and then use the manual partition utility in the lubuntu installer to create /boot, /, and swap partitions.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Also forgot to mention, there aren't any ppc drivers for a lot of nvidia graphics cards except the open source nouveau, you may have issues.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I tried both.
The alternate red screen of deathed when the disk partitioner came up.
The live boot black screened on boot.

----------

Both isos.
No guide. I installed like on an intel mac.
I did not download yaboot.

Lubuntu 12.04 PowerPC ISO
Install Guide
Yaboot

I'd recommend you'd read through the install guide first to get a general understanding as installing Linux on some PowerPC machines can be a bit more difficult than installing it on intel ones.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
From what I have seen on the Ubuntu FAQ, you definitely want the 64bit ppc iso. Did you try any of the yaboot prompts (video=ofonly)? Please check the Ubuntu PPC FAQ and known issues page and take it step by step. I would recommend only using the alternate installer.

You noted that you got stuck at the partition page. Are you attempting an install of a blank unformatted disk, or are you trying to dual boot? If you are dual booting, you will first need to free up space using disk utility and then use the manual partition utility in the lubuntu installer to create /boot, /, and swap partitions.

I am installing on the 1tb drive.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Lubuntu 12.04 PowerPC ISO
Install Guide
Yaboot

I'd recommend you'd read through the install guide first to get a general understanding as installing Linux on some PowerPC machines can be a bit more difficult than installing it on intel ones.

Do i still have to use alternate install?

If you have an Nvidia GPU you will need the Alt. Install image I mention in step 2. Here is the alt install and here are the configuration instructions for after the install.

It says that alternate install is needed for nVidia GPUs.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Do i still have to use alternate install?

If you have an Nvidia GPU you will need the Alt. Install image I mention in step 2. Here is the alt install and here are the configuration instructions for after the install.

It says that alternate install is needed for nVidia GPUs.

If it says you have to use it then use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.