Lucky Labs Carbon Skin - Disappointed

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Kone 33, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Kone 33 macrumors newbie

I just received the Black Carbon skin from Lucky Labs and was kind of disappointd. I really thought it would be thicker as well as having more texture. In the pictures the lines runiing through it look raised. In reality they are not. I guess it is just an illusion. Basically it is not really any thicker than a screen protector.
    Does anyone know if there are any carbon skins that are thicker and/or have raised lines running through making it easier to grip instead of just using a screen protector?

2. missygal Guest

missygal

I also got this and thought the same! At first I really liked it but it just doesnt offer any type of grip. I guess I didnt expect it to be as slippery as it is.

3. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Try the carbon skins from SGP, those are higher quality.

4. bludragon06 macrumors regular

I have the carbon back on my ip4 and it looks very nice. Very carbon fiber-y. LOL I also am using the incase slider with it. Works great. I just need to figure out a solution for the screen guard. I trimmed my screen guard down so it would fit but its kinda rolled up on the sides. Works for now.

5. chanerz macrumors 6502a

6. Mastamuffin macrumors member

Just letting you guys know. Im 99% sure the both SGP and Lucky Labs use the same exact material. The 3M DI-NOC vinyl...

7. bengtc macrumors regular

8. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

You have the carbon back on your phone WITH the incase slider? How did you manage that? My slider is hard to get on/off with a naked phone, and can't imagine how hard it'd be to get on (then get off!) with the thick SGP carbon skin that I have on it as well (clarification: I have the SGP carbon skin, just can't have it installed along with the incase slider as the slider is very tight just with the naked phone).

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

So none of those carbon weave films/skins have actual texture or thickness???

10. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I just put out a review for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGajB35P7qg

I have to say it is SMOOTH.
    I'm not so sure what people to be claiming about not having textures and feelings to it.

I mean it's smooth i'll have to put it there. It is not as grippy as you'd thought it be. But i can confirm it has textures that you can feel and be pretty satisfied with it. It's reusable, and protects the back and adds a uniqueness to the back of the iPhone 4.

SGP and this is the same material.
    friend of mine has the SGP and showed it to me yesterday. feels and looks the same to me

11. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

not really sure what you were expecting. It's vinyl, not cloth. It is textured and does feel similar to dry CF weave. I'd argue it's definitely thicker than any screen protector i've ever used, but not all that thick (which is a good thing IMO). Were you expecting something as thick as a rubber case? Have you ever seen straight vinyl that thick?

12. Kone 33 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was hoping it would have more texture to it and thus make it easier to grip the phone. I guess I'm glad I didn't splurge the extra $ on the SGP since from what everyone is saying they are the same.