Lucky me - Getting 2 Macs help me choose between these!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imorgan, Apr 1, 2008.

1. imorgan macrumors newbie

I'm a 16 year old who's parents are giving him a Mac for completing my GED , and a MAC for when I go off to college next year (but I get it on my birthday in November) . My parents are getting me either:

A..

799$ MAC MINI

1,000$ 20" iMac

or

1,000$ White Macbook

for my GED.

And as a college gift,

A

Macbook Pro

or a

24" Imac

or a

Macbook Air

And no , I'm not spoiled , the reason they're giving me these is because I rarely buy anything....

so...

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Do you really need two? I'd get a pimped out MBP and be done with it.

3. imorgan thread starter macrumors newbie

No , I guess I don't , but that's what they're giving me , so it would be helpful!

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Get the 20" iMac now or the Mini b/c it is nice to have a desktop.
    Then get the MBP or MBA for college.

Or you could get the MacBook now for college and next year get the 24" iMac to have a desktop too.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It depends on your needs really.

If I were in your position, I'd get mini now (and a monitor, obviously) and a MBP later.

Then, you can hook your MBP to that monitor. (and personally I'd then sell the mini to upgrade the PRO, :D )

6. imorgan thread starter macrumors newbie

My question is , would a MBA be good for that or should I go for the MBP. Also , I like the Imac I just think that maybe a 20" would be good enough... Considering it is only a 300$ difference between the imac and the mac mini and I'd get a monitor and keyboard and mouse without having to pay for them , considering the only computer working in my house is a crappy laptop and I don't have a screen , mouse or keyboard handy.

7. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

do ...

... Imac now so Family can enjoy and be hooked to Apple products by it and do the MBP for college. Better to use at those latenight starbucks sitdowns!:D

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

My fiancee has a MBA and she loves it. I don't see her being hindered by it at any time, so that's a viable option if you really like it.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

get the macbook for now and the imac later. If you go mini/MBA, both of your computers will be on the less-powerful side. If you go mini/MBP you'll never use the mini once you get the pro.

The macbook/imac combo gives you a big screen and lots of power at home, and a very nice machine for on the go. And they're not redundant, so you'll end up using both.

10. imorgan thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes a lot of sense , thank you! But, should I get the 20" or the 24"? Is the 24" overkill?