Lufthansa Credit Card

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by andiwm2003, Jan 9, 2009.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Hi,

I think about applying for the Lufthansa Miles&More Credit card to get frequent traveller status and such.

I saw that this is a Barclay's/Juniper Credit Card. I had heard that Juniper does all that "double billing cycle" stuff and I'm worried that that credit card is not so good.

I always pay off my credit card by the end of the month. Always, no exemption. So APR and such is not really a worry for me.

Does anyone have this or a similar card and can recommend it?

As a related topic: Balance transfer means I simply give them my other credit card number and amount and they pay it. I pay then the new credit card and get extra miles. Is that correct? Does balance transfer somehow interfere with my other credit cards?

Thanks for any input!

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Pretty much, but note that some cards will not award points/miles/whatever on balance transfers.

Not in my experience. It is just recorded as a payment and your balance on that card goes down by that amount.

3. leishan macrumors 6502

Yeah, you might need to check to see if you get miles/rewards for balance transfers. Some companies don't allow it.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

May I ask why you're choosing M&M over something relative to your own country? Even if you're flying the crane across the pond a lot, you'd still be able to do that with Dividend Miles or Mileage Plus through code shares with a larger selection of stuff out of your own country.

5. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

?? i actually fly not that often but i'd like to get the frequent flyer status to be able to check in with business. makes life a lot easier. i don't know any of the other program you mention. the credit card approach has the benefit that i get the frequent flyer status very soon and i plan a few trips in the US where it could come in handy. independent of that i'm loking to get a mastercard anyway.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Dividend Miles and Mileage Plus are the credit cards of United and US Airways, respectively. If your location is correct and you're in the US, those cards will get you more benefits than a card of a foreign carrier.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just like to point out most credit cards do double billing cycle.

That means the interested charged on your card is the average balance for the past 2 months.

So if you do not pay it off one month you are charge interested for that month and the next one and it is based on average balance.

it sucks and next year will be against the law.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

indeed, most US airlines have associated credit cards for their frequent flyer mileage programs

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How much money do you have to spend on the card to rack up enough miles for a free flight?

I was considering one, but I don't think I'd get enough miles in my lifetime.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

One tends to earn the most points through actual flights on the carrier that supports the card. Unless you're a frequent flyer, you'll probably never accumulate enough to get yourself very far if said card is not your exclusive method of payment.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

True.

My parents have the southwest credit card and they charge everything though it. It gets them enough points for few flights a year on it.

I have some friend who use the card for everything and they charge there rent to it and rent alone gets them a free flight every year.

I personally have an American express card with cash back that I just route everything though.

But all 3 are example list above where they are are primary card and take 90% or so of all our credit card charges and we pay them off every month.

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I credit to Miles & More because I fly revenue First Class and Business Class and the class of service bonuses are the best in the Star Alliance (or any Alliance, for that matter). I do on occasion take LH across The Pond, but usually fly SQ into FRA (from JFK), NH/SQ to Japan/Asia and UA around North America.