LumenLab EVO projector - $499, $30 lamps

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jun 21, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

http://www.lumenlab.com

Go there to check out the EVO 1.2, which is only $499, and the replacement lamps are only $30.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this unit? I'm thinking of buying one, but I looked all over for reviews, and found no expert reviews, which made me wonder.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Fixed link (thanks zflauaus)

2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

You probably haven't found reviews because it hasn't been released yet.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems pretty interesting! I like the idea of being able to replace the bulb to maintain brightness fairly regularly at low cost.

I do note that the native resolution is only 800x480, meaning it can really only do 480p natively (which is fine for DVD players, for instance), and can only scale up to 1024x768, meaning that 720p devices will be out. Seems too low to me to be good for a broader range of uses....

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

crap, I knew there was a catch

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm perfectly fine with that, though. I don't have any HD content (yet), and when I do, I'll probably spring for a more high-end projector. But that one is great for now, when I'm a broke law student living in an overpriced studio. I mean, it's pure luxury for the price!

I'm just worried that there's no reviews of the Evo projectors. The 1.1 version has been out since at least November, 2006, and still no reviews. Why?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, actually...

Gismodo gave it a fairly negative review:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/review/boxtv-home-theater-projector-is-499-but-is-it-worth-it-262987.php

7. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, I figured BoxTV was an earlier 1.x version of the product, since they seem to be keen on weird names. Ahhh, well, good luck!

9. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have decided to skip this projector due to an absolute lack of professional reviews and user feedback.

I'm going to buy the InFocus Play Big IN72. They are backordered on their site, however. I wonder how long it will be backordered for.