Lumia 920 or iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by TSE, Jan 3, 2013.

1. TSE, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

TSE macrumors 68030

I am getting off contract in a month, and have nailed the list of phones I want down to two. iPhone 5, or Lumia 920.

I have a Nokia Lumia 710 right now, and have enjoyed it a lot with Windows Phone 7.5. I really like it even though the OS is clunky at times and missing basic features. I think the OS is absolutely beautiful and much better looking than any other OS out there. I was told Windows Phone 8 basically makes Windows Mobile up there with iOS and Android.

I also might like the Lumia 920 for it's bigger screen, because with my Lumia 710, I tend to make mistakes on the keyboard due to the smaller screen. I also have Nokia stock. I've also been told by people with 920s that they don't show scratches and are durable as all hell. Also, the biggest thing Nokia has going for it is the Nokia Drive app and Nokia Suite. They are absolutely awesome.

With the iPhone, however, I get a more portable device that also syncs with iCloud, so I can have my whole iTunes library wherever I go. I also get a better performing device, and the iPhone ACTUALLY has gameboy emulators, which I sorely miss on the Windows phones coming from android.

What do you guys think? Any additional input? Maybe a phone I'm not considering?

2. ichii, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

I got a Lumia 920 last week, but returned it for a LG Optimus G. Lumia 920 is a good solid phone, screen and speaker on it is amazing. I actually prefer the screen on the Lumia to the Optimus, because I have small hands and it's easier for me to reach around the screen. Now on to the OS, I know it's still new, but there just isn't that much content out there, it's probably because I'm so used to tons and tons of stuff in Apple's app store. Also I use Siri quite often to make reminders and set alarms, TELLME is not there yet, anything I say to it result in it making a search on the web. I have not tested the Nokia Drive, but I heard good things about it.

Likes: Screen, speaker, color choice, wireless charging, camera in low light, heft, facebook and twitter integration into the phone and live tiles.
    Dislike: App selections, lack of voice recognition, camera seems fuzzy in day light, and restrictive NFC.

If you don't mind the lack of apps/Siri, it's a good phone. I'm just to impatient to wait for new apps.

P.S. Get the phone at AT&T it comes with the free charging pad, you just have to wait for two weeks.

3. Arni99 macrumors regular

I sold my Lumia 920 and switched back to an iPhone 5.
    Why: The Portico-update didn't improve the camera-blur on the Lumia 920 as much as I was hoping for.

4. qpiqp macrumors member

5. Internaut macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5. WinPho is lovely and has some real UI innovations but there's just too many things you can do with an iPhone that you cannot do with a Windows Phone.

6. BuryMeInSmoke macrumors member

If my only two choices were those phones then I'd take the iphone 5. I didn't last long with either one but everyone's needs are different.

7. beyondthepale35 macrumors regular

I still enjoy the 920 I got on launch. Then again, I've never owned anything Apple out of the superiority complex most of their users seem to have, and the fact that I enjoy supporting what I think is an underappreciated product. Apps mean nothing to me, i pretty much just read on my phone, but in terms of fluidity and quickness in navigating the OS i think WP8 nails it.

8. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the advice all, but I want to take into account I currently have Windows Phone 7.5 with a Lumia 710 and there are no "apps" I'm truly missing besides a good gameboy emulator.

If you took away the App Store from the iPhone and gave it an equivalent app store to the Lumia 920, which one would you guys pick?

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Lumia 920 is a thick and big phone. Yes I have owned a Gnex, S3, and Nexus 4 in past 12 months. Also owned a Lumia 900 (3 times/love hate relationship).

I preferred the Lumia 900 feel and size over the 920. The screen on the 920 is beautiful but I just couldn't get myself to hold the phone comfortably like I did with the just as large 4.65-4.8 inch Gnex/Nexus 4/S3.

10. beyondthepale35 macrumors regular

Also, have you ever used Purple Cherry? Its a GB emulator on the WP8 store. The size of the 920 has never bothered me once, and I have small hands for a 6'1" dude haha.

11. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

If I'm just to base it on the os itself, I think I would go with the windows phone, since it allows more customization and live tiles is a fresh new look. I also would prefer the 4.5" screen to the 4" of the iPhone 5.

12. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Polling tiles should be the correct term. Also since you have a 7.5 device already, then I'm sure you are used to the notification delays and "what app was that" toast notifications(disappear forever).

If those are your only 2 device choices and you are only looking at the OS not apps. I would stick with the 7.5 device as WP8 offers nothing over the yet to be released(officially) 7.8 update.

13. greenyoga macrumors member

My brother is using Lumia 920,iPhone 5 is my favorite,I love Apple.

14. americaroma macrumors regular

If apps didnt matter to me i would choose the nokia 920. I would say in terms of looks both look great, but the 920 seems more durable and i wouldnt have to use a case to protect it.

But apps do matter to me, i use whatsapp too much, would also miss imessage and facetime. Skype sucks on the 920, no youtube app, no bobslead from tmobile etc etc.

I love my iphone 5, but would like for it to be more durable and have a fresher ios.

15. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

I've owned both....Lumia 920 is your next phone. iPhone will always win in apps, but the raw tech of the Lumia and WP8 is better, IMO. The app situation is really not that bad in WP8 either. The phone and OS are cool enough to make you forget about the app shock.

16. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

I also forgot about YouTube, there's no way to fast forward. I think there's an app, but all it does is take you to the mobile site. I hear that they're suppose to announce or working on a new one at CES, so you might want to wait a week before you make your purchase.

17. TweakOnline macrumors regular

TweakOnline

iPhone 5, without doubt.
    Apple stuff is future proof, we don't know what Nokia will bring us... Maybe Nokia will bring a new OS on the market, and your Lumia 920 will be old junk. Or Nokia is going to be bankrupt, and the OS from Lumia won't be developed anymore...

18. scott craft macrumors 6502a

If you've been on the 710 a while I think you will be pleased with the 920. I went from an HTC trophy to a Lumia 822 and I'm very pleased with the new features in WP8 and the added horsepower the new devices have. As far as whatsapp I believe that's now available for WP8 and metrotube is a really good app for YouTube.

19. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

i have both right now my iphone 5 is on VZ and my nokia is on ATT for me the ATT international plans are better so i always have an att phone. but i find the windows office integration is great. i also love the bigger screen when reading emails. Apps is yet to be desired i think Microsoft did a bad job with app store. but if i had to chose 1 i would got with the iphone just because its simple and easy.

20. beyondthepale35 macrumors regular

Metrotube is a great youtube app and allows you to fast forward. That's not an issue at all.

21. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Will this Google/MS spat defer anyone using the Lumina?
    I see they disabled maps yesterday, which appears to be a game between the 2 powerhouses.

Source

22. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

No Google didn't. What spat? Why do people insist on such nonsense theories?

Have you read Googles response?

23. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

If only I could put Windows Phone 8's UI into the iPhone... :(

I think the Google Maps problem doesn't even matter. Bing maps, Nokia maps, and Nokia Drive are all great solutions, and in my opinion, better than Google maps. I haven't accessed Google Maps on my phone yet.

Youtube is no problem. Metrotube is fine.

It really comes down to this for me:

iPhone Pros:

1. Better App Selection
    2. Lighter, smaller design
    3. Better iCloud and iTunes integration
    4. Better battery life

Lumia 920 Pros:

1. Better looking OS
    2. Way more durable, basically indestructible
    3. Less expensive
    4. Nokia App Suite

What both have going for them:

1. Great looking designs
    2. Great functioning OSes
    3. Solid cameras
    4. You know your devices will be updated and supported, unlike non-OEM Android devices

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Given that situation, I would go with the 920 both for it's larger screen as well as it's truly incredible low light pic taking capabilities.

25. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

Before I got my nexus I played around with a 920, but it felt very bulky. Have you considered the HTC 8X, I like the size and weight of that phone a lot more.