Lumina Black Update rolling out now

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Nokia started rolling out the update today. Check your update in Settings.

The update brings:
    Home-screen folders - ** Folders is now a seperate Nokia update found in the Store: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/app-folder/7d2e7de3-95e7-4143-8a9d-aedf8c3f901e
    Glance screen - show date, time, new notifications and up to 5 apps for quick opening via the lock screen
    Bluetooth LE
    Nokia refocus - an app that changes the focus on photos for diff effects
    Nokia beamer - send photos, docs, etc to any HTML5 enabled screen
    Nokia storyteller - app organizes your photos into collections by date and location
    Nokia camera - combines smart camera and pro camera into one app

* Double tap to wake - This feature MAY also becoming to the low end phones like the 520/521 with the Black update.

Most of this brings the platform closer to being on par with features found in iOS and Android. The 8.1 update should finish off that job later this year. Windows Phone is becoming a more appealing alternative to the current duopoly we have. Makes me happy to see WP moving forward. :D

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nice :) I'm honestly thinking of giving windows phone another chance this year when a successor to the 1020 is announced.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

And most people will start getting it in the next 3-5 months. :p

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Who rolls out windows phone updates these days ? Microsoft or carriers ?

5. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Carriers, I believe.

There's something about them not being able to ignore 2 major updates or something like that. I forget.

6. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Just get a free dev account and bypass the carriers. Gonna try doing that now. I really hate US carriers with a passion.

7. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I have it, but I think it's not the Nokia version... just Windows Phone/.

8. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

If you don't have a Lumia, you won't get it right now. This is only for Lumia edition phones.

Also, I have updated the OP. The link to getting the new 'Folders' is now a separate download in the Nokia portion of the Microsoft app store.

Link: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/app-folder/7d2e7de3-95e7-4143-8a9d-aedf8c3f901e

These are the phones getting the update:
    [​IMG]

9. scott craft macrumors 6502a

10. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I have a 520. I still don't have an update. Just checked, still on Amber.

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

My 1020 on ATT got the update 3 weeks ago. Don't ask me how. At first I thought I had misread something but then I looked at the settings and compared to my 1520.

It's a great update, but I'm really looking forward to 8.1 and the devices that come with it. WP8 is starting to gain a little traction finally, it's very close to being my perfect mobile OS, but not quite.

12. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Just checked on the rollout. It is currently with AT&T, so don't expect it to come from them any time in the near future. Best bet is to sign up for a dev account and download the 'early preview' app to get the update sooner.

I'm trying to find the ISO file for the 520 now. No luck.

----------

Product - Description - Latest version - Amber update - Black update
    Lumia 822 - Verizon - 3045.0000.1328.1031 - Available - Waiting for approval
    Lumia 928 - Verizon - 3045.0000.1328.2046 - Available - Waiting for approval

13. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Oh, I do have the early preview. They recently did another update to it. But that doesn't have special Nokia-only things. It is GDR3, and just GDR3. And that means I will likely get a preview of 8.1 when they ship it out as well.

14. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I'm in the same boat as you. If I find a 520 Black update file I will post up in here.

15. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I'm really thinking of getting a WP8 phone next. What are some pros and cons. Also can you "jailbreak" and tamper with it to improve functionality?

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

We already have tap to wake on the 520 silly. :) It's under Settings > System > Touch.

Nokia Black is being tested on the 520 separately. So I expect us to see it in a month.

And yeah, most of the time the updates are instant. Doesn't even ask you unless you put it to do so. :rolleyes: The carriers aren't allowed to do the same stuff to the device like Android allows them. You can remove all the bloat and it never comes back. So I guess their testing process is much quicker.

But now that I've been using it more and more, I think Nokia, Microsoft, AND AT&T are allowed to all push an update whenever. Would be Nokia/Microsoft on unlocked versions.

The folders work on Amber. Using it now, pretty sweet.

17. jamezr Suspended

jamezr

Off Topic…..
    I have a chance to pickup an AT&T Lumia 520 brand new for $50. Can i pop any AT&T sim in this and have it work? I have an extra line (sim) on my account and would like to try out a Windows phone. Sorry for the off topic question…..

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

As long as it's the Micro SIM, then yeah. You don't need to even pop in a SIM to use it actually, it works by itself without one in.

19. jamezr Suspended

jamezr

Thank you!

20. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Tap to wake doesn't work for me, even though it is checked to on under settings. :(

21. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

That would be most excellent.

22. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Huh? Carriers hold up updates for windows phone just like android. AT&T and Verizon are still culprits.

23. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Black came with my 1520 a couple of weeks ago...tap to wake worked fine for me, but I turned it off. Using the power button is just as easy IMHO.

24. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Good thing Nokia is improving Windows Phone, because Microsoft certainly isn't. It's appalling how little they've done with their platform.

25. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Well, to be fair, Nokia is the only real Windows phone. :D