Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
OK, it's just below my elbow if my arm is hanging down. And as I said I wasn't coming here for advice and I'm not worried. I was just curious if anyone has had the same thing. I wasn't asking for a hands-on diagnosis. You guys are too funny. :D

Tanto

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
USA
OK, it's just below my elbow if my arm is hanging down. And as I said I wasn't coming here for advice and I'm not worried. I was just curious if anyone has had the same thing. I wasn't asking for a hands-on diagnosis. You guys are too funny. :D

If you have pain rotating your wrist and/or pain while compressing your forearm (think hitting a solid object with the palm of your hand) then it could be a bone cyst. I had one in the exact same spot. So I would see a doctor and have an X-ray taken. If it is a bone cyst, you'll see it clear as day as a large dark area on your bone.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
If you have pain rotating your wrist and/or pain while compressing your forearm (think hitting a solid object with the palm of your hand) then it could be a bone cyst. I had one in the exact same spot. So I would see a doctor and have an X-ray taken. If it is a bone cyst, you'll see it clear as day as a large dark area on your bone.
Is this information I see before me?

No pain unless I poke it. What happened after your X-ray? What was the treatment and the outcome?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

No pain unless I poke it. What happened after your X-ray? What was the treatment and the outcome?

It is 10:15 am, it's early on the west coast but there are walk-in clinics. It is just the right time to call your doctor on the east coast. That brings me to this ... WTF are you still doing here and why haven't you called a doctor?

Also, please make sure you ask that photoshop question for me as well, save me from having to create a thread.

Tanto

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
USA

It starts with pain localized to poking it, but progresses to what I described above. The cyst is effectively eating away your bone so ultimately the sooner it is identified, the less time you have to have a cast on it.

The treatment involves surgery to remove the cyst from inside your bone and then filling the void with a special growth "gel" (from what I remember) and then having your arm from the upper arm down in a cast for 6 months or until the X-ray show that the void has been re-filled with bone.

There can be issues with limited rotation of your had because the surgeon has to deal with a lot of connective tissue in that area but my results were a full recovery with no after effects. I just have a sweet scar there.

But once again, only a visit to your doctor can conclusively identify your condition.

Are you under 18? These things are most common with teenagers because these things tend to form on growth plates.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Swollen lymph node or benign cyst.

People normally get the cysts on their back, since that is the spot that you can't pop the zit.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
BTW I went to the docs and he said it was probably a bite and unless it was getting bigger (it was a large red area to begin with) not to worry and go back in three weeks or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.