Lunch Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by katie ta achoo, Jul 26, 2007.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Alright, here's my predicament:
    I work at a toy store where we have no fridge or microwave. It's usually 100x easier to just buy lunch from a surrounding restaurant, but it's getting kind of expensive. I'm saving up to go to MWSF08, so I need suggestions for lunch that I can bring with me.

A few hurdles to get past, though:
    • no fridge
    • no microwave
    • I'm a vegetarian (no easy ham sammiches)
    • I don't really like avocado.

I have no idea of what to eat. Can y'all help? :)

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I keep a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter in my desk. Saves me from having to pack my lunch, but if you don't like plain PB sandwiches this option is not for you.

Fruits and sliced veggies are always great. They don't need to be kept cold and taste great with no cooking. Some good quality crackers and cheese are always good.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Really good multigrain/seed bread with grilled veggies and a light oil, peanut butter, thai sauce.
    Bread as above with mozzarella or hard cheese, tomato, and pesto (use an ice pack).
    Bread as above with tofu slices (either the deli kind or sauteed in sesame oil and tamari the night before.
    (A really good bread makes all the difference for me).
    Peaches or strawbs for dessert in the summer; ALWAYS with a couple of chocolate truffles.
    (Keep your greasy hands off the iPhone):)

5. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

That's what I do. I bring in a loaf of bread every week. I've got a jar of Peanut Butter and a squeezable Jelly (what can I say, I'm lazy sometimes) in my desk. I also have a jar of Nutella for when I am feeling crazy. I also have a box of pop tarts and granola bars for when I don't grab a quick breakfast on the way out to work in the morning.

I try not to buy lunch at work- it does add up very fast. We have a fridge in the office, but my boss isn't exactly clean, so I don't use it. No toaster or Microwave (cheap bastard!) either, so my options are limited.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Can you buy one of those icey cool bag thingies? That opens up a lot for what you can take.

Obvious stuff:
    CAKE!
    fruits/veg
    crackers
    nuts (the snacking kind... wait.. oh nevermind. :p )
    peanut butter sandwiches (I like them with honey sometimes but you have to eat it right away or the honey goes all hard.)
    skittles :p

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

KT, do you have a Whole Foods Market nearby? They have all sorts of special diet prepackaged lunches that, even if you don't buy them, can give you ideas.

B

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Skittles does count as fruit does it not.:p

10. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Holy gee whiz! a lot of responses in not a lot of time!

...OK, I also neglected to mention that I don't care much for peanut butter. I'll eat it in a PB&J but I won't like it.

Won't grilled veggies get botulism'ed real fast? I'll eat pretty much anything cold, I just don't want food poisoning.

and balamw- before I transferred to a different store, I was NEXT DOOR to a whole foods. I ate like a king! a roll and a cup of soup was $2.50 and sooo filling. Darn!

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

hell yeah, taste the fricken rainbow!

Thought of another one...
    cookies!

oh and rolls/baguettes/other such bready things.

Why the hell doesn't this place have a microwave or fridge? That's messed up.

12. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

get a lunch box with a mini ice pack (i've done this throughout my schooling), and make some cold meals. get a few ziploc containers that can fit in a lunch bag and put whatever in there. if you're really in a rush, get a salad mix from the store, put a little bit in there with olive oil that you make before work and just pack it in and eat it there.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I worked at a toy store a few years back, (the one with the messed up letter) and we had a fridge and microwave.

14. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Honeybaby, so much the carbs! I don't wanna get fat(ter than I already am)!!

The other store (the big one) has a microwave and fridge. The one in the Village is smaller, and we just don't have one for some reason. It's super-lame.

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

I've never heard you complain about your honey being hard before...

But back to lunch, KT, I agree that you should invest in a good lunch box. As someone who brings his lunch to work practically every day, the lunch box is invaluable. Get some ice packs, and your lunch will stay nice and cold for an extended period of time, giving you a pretty good selection of available lunches, from cold veggies to fruits, etc.

The lack of a microwave is a pain, but you could also get a Thermos and bring hot soup or mac and cheese or something like that.

Hey, it's a toy store - don't they have any recalled Easy Bake Ovens you could use?

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I was going to suggest PBJ, but you don't like PB. So how about the nutella. Or you could try cashew butter or almond butter. I don't know how they taste, though.

I eat PBJ everyday, so I can't think of anything else. Sorry.:(

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

One of those wide-mouthed Thermos flasks is good as you can put soup, veggie stews, rice, couscous and noodle dishes in there to keep hot. Or fruit/veggie salads to keep cold... couple that with a small tupperware container with some nice bread and some veggie cheese or other savoury bits like olives etc... and you're sorted.

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

LOL. I used to keep Nutella in my desk as well for those days when PB seemed a little on the boring side. :)

I also have an issue with the office fridge. everywhere I have worked, the fridge has been filthy and storing my lunch in it would have made me lose my appetite. They all seem to have the exact same nasty smell.

19. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

re: botulism. An ice pack will do the trick. Or better, freeze some juice packs. Yummy "disposable" ice to lick.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I knew I should have added "and not in the fun way" to that.

Good ideas, especially about the thermos. Some of the better ones stay hot for ridiculous amounts of time.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Here's a solution: Tell your boss that not having at least a microwave is substandard, and that he should buy the staff a microwave (not expensive) and possibly a decent sized bar fridge if he seems a bit generous that day (more expensive).

22. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Oooo- thermos soup. Good call!

Nutella is the best thing ever made. It's a fact. Soooo good.

And yeah- what's the deal with office fridges? People are disgusting. The last office I worked at had around 7 people. Horrible fridge and the toaster had years of toast crumbs in it. Never used that. My current office? Me and the boss and that's it. I won't lsat here much longer. Disgusting how dirty things can get just because of one person (i.e. not me). Horrible.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

24. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

25. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Good idea, tell the boss it will "boost employee morale" or something. Heck if they get a mini-fridge and a small microwave, it should only cost $150 tops for both.

Until then, I'd go keep a bottle of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar at the store, then each day bring in some bread, some olives and a small piece of some soft cheese that looks like it will last until lunch time.