Lunettes Beta Released (64-bit VLC)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Corrode, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Hey, just wanted to give a heads up and let people know that the rewrite of VLC called Lunettes has been released in BETA form.

It's looking pretty good. Definitely more "Mac-ish" and some cool features to do with playback bookmarks and browsing video files. Check it out, and contribute if you're a coder/developer. (I'm not.)

http://github.com/pdherbemont/Glasses/downloads

2. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Wow. It can play 720p ripped Blu-rays like a champ. Any word on integration with Handbrake 64-bit?

3. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

i get an error when i starts the program

here is the error:

Exception not handled!

LibVLCException: libvlc has thrown us an error: upnp_intel: internal module error (/Users/steg/Sources/vlc/projects/macosx/framework/Sources/VLCMediaDiscoverer.m:99 -[VLCMediaDiscoverer initWithName:])

Back trace has been printed to Console.

We will now wait for debugger connection...

4. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

gonna have to try this out as soon as i get home

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Lunettes works with HandBrake?

It looks like there has not been any new release since January. Mac users have been sort of left without an up-to-date VLC 64-bit solution for many months...

Does anyone happen to know if HandBrake works with the latest version of Lunettes or has HandBrake become self-contained, or can it use libraries from another media player besides VLC/Lunettes? Please advise.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

PS: on a separate note, I guess Lunettes is a code name. At release, I would still call it VLC as it is such a well established brand, although IMO they are losing some credibility in the Mac community due to the lack of developer support causing a huge gap in releases.

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

8. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

The current stable release of Handbrake requires VLC.

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Thanks for confirming.

I just opened Lunettes & found a software update via the application. It's good to know there has been progress.

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

11. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Oh really? I assumed there hadn't been any new public builds since the 1-31 Beta. Downloading now.

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Yeah but it's confusing...

@ http://github.com/pdherbemont/Glasses/downloads as of this writing the latest version is: Lunettes-3.0.zip Uploaded 2010-01-31

Next if you "Check for Update" from the App, you can upgrade to beta-5

Then if you go to the About screen, it's: Version 1.0 Beta (5.0, Intel 64bit)

& after this, in my Trash I found: "Lunettes (4.0).app"

:confused:

13. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

If you would like the latest version of VLC (1.0.5), there is a Universal binary (32-bit), an Intel binary (32-bit), a PPC binary (32-bit), but nothing 64-bit! Why??

It would have made more sense to have: Intel (64-bit), Intel (32-bit) & PPC (32-bit) builds.

Lunettes is not ready to replace 64-bit Intel. It's been in beta for almost ~6 months. Features like Services discovery (Shoutcasts) are missing. The debug menu is still enabled. Sheesh.

14. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

The reason why there's no 64 bit VLC is they need more mac developers, specifically in relation to the gui. Last I heard, they had not obtained the needed developers, hence why VLC releases are still 32 bit. This is why the 64 bit release (1.0.2?? my memory doesn't serve me) crashed a lot and had many issues, yet people still install this so they can use 64 bit handbrake. As far as I know, Lunettes is an entirely separate project that is simply based on some of the VLC code, and I hear that they too are understaffed.

At least that's what I've been reading.

15. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Related to the lack of Developers, my question still would be why spend time on a redundant universal build & work on a new project like Lunettes while unable to keep the VLC 64-bit builds updated? They dropped the ball on 64-bit VLC because they have not enough resources, then where are the Lunettes resources coming from? Why not stop making something redundant & less useful first?

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Thanks for the heads up. Just watched a video that was hectic laggy in the original VLC, now is smooth as butter in Lunettes b5. Brilliant!

17. thedadymac macrumors newbie

Background Info on Lunettes

Vlc has a wiki for Lunettes it says that vlc didn't look mac enough and didn't run 64-bit so they re-wrote it

http://wiki.videolan.org/Lunettes

18. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Actually VLC was making 64-bit builds (codenamed Goldeneye). AFAIK the last 64-bit build released was 1.0.4-rc before dropping it completely to work on Lunettes. Fast forward 6 months(?) later & Lunettes is "beta" with missing features & 64-bit VLC for OS X is no more. Ergo my point that it would have been better to work on Lunettes AFTER finding more developers & perhaps cut out a redundant (Intel & PPC or Universal, not all three) build instead of dropping 64-bit VLC without a complete solution &, apparently HandBrake won't work with Lunettes.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm using the 1.1.0-pre3 64-bit build right now. The 1.1.0 RC was up for some time but that's no longer the case. I was only able to find the source the last time I checked.

1.1.0-pre3 reports itself as The Luggage.

20. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Found it, thanks!

21. MBX macrumors 65816

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I apologize for not posting a link.

It appears that RC 4 is out for Windows and the source is available.