Lunix on G4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BlaqOut, May 29, 2011.

1. BlaqOut macrumors newbie

i have a iMac g4 im trying 2 install Linux on it but after the boot and i press enter i go 2
    To continue booting, type 'mac-boot' and press return
    To shut down, type 'shut-down' and press return

Release keys to continue!

and fans start going. thats it... and i cant do anything.. anyone help me out?

im not 2 familiar with Macs im a PC user and this mac has been collecting dust so im making it a home server with linux

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What version of Linux are you attempting to install?

3. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Furrybeagle

Linux can be kind of pokey, especially on older Macs. Try a different distro, maybe?

Also, have you considered just using OS X? File and web servers are built in. There’s tons of OS X software out there, and most *nix software can be compiled as long as you have the Developer Tools (Xcode) installed. Xcode is on the OS X install disk, or you can download it from developer.apple.com. /Applications/Utilities/Terminal will give you a terminal just like in Linux.

There’s also MacPorts and Homebrew for installing *nix software. You’ll to download a special PPC fork since the main version is Intel only, but it’s significantly easier to use than MacPorts. This might be helpful: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2504907.