Lurker --- Im finally posting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGotAMAC, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. JustGotAMAC macrumors newbie

    Jul 21, 2006
    Well I had my MBP for 2 months now and Im enjoying it more as time passes. This is my first Mac that Ive owned, and after using PC's for years the transition was hard.

    I have a 15"1.83 w/ 80gb and 2gb ram. Now im thinking whether or not I want to get the 15" 2.16 with better specs. Being that I can get the 2.16 15" for $2k brand new do you folks suggest I make the upgrade, or is it worth it? Will I really experience any speed/performance difference.

    Im open to suggestions.
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601


    Mar 20, 2005
    I definitely wouldn't upgrade now. I would wait for at least a new processor, which may come sooner than you think, before upgrading. :)
  3. emptyCup macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2005
    Enjoy what you have. In a few years, when you are ready for a new machine, the difference between what you have and what is available will be more substantial.

    There are many threads here that can help a Windows person make a smooth transition. You should search for them.

    Best wishes
  4. spicyapple macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
  5. JustGotAMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 21, 2006
    If they did a major upgrade that would certainly suck. Heck, we all just paid good money for the current MBP's and you mean they plan to upgrade 'very soon." I hate how computers lose value so quick. I saw a post selling a powerbook 1.67 for $900. Now that sucks.
  6. spicyapple macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
    The MBP and MacBooks pretty much de-valued all the G4 PowerBooks and iBooks once they were introduced, considering the new notebooks are 3-4x faster than the previous generation. :eek:

    For power/performance, the new MBs are better value.
  7. JustGotAMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 21, 2006

    I had a username since last year but I just can't remember it, and I'm not going to bust a vein trying to figure it out. Thus, this new name. :cool:
  8. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

    Aug 9, 2000
    Yeah, but that was a G4...

    Don't worry about upgrading... there's so much suspense in that area when it comes to a Mac, that you'll have plenty of time to stress over it before you really know what you want to do. ;) :D

    I can speak from experience about the laptop changeover, though. I bought a 12in iBook in March of 2004, and sold it to a chap in England in June of that year. I then bought a 12in PB, which I used (successfully) for a year, but then I came to the conclusion that I needed more screen real-estate and attempted a trade with another MR member for a 15in PB (long story) but in the end, I ended up with a 15in 1.33GHz PB that I still have today. Over the course of 1.5 years, I had 3 laptops and I lost quite a bit of money in the process. Though I can understand why you'd want to upgrade, I'd suggest avoiding it unless you really need it.
  9. Makosuke macrumors 603

    Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I don't think you're looking at a big enough change there to be worth the money and hassle, particularly since it probably won't be THAT long before the MBPs see an upgrade to the Merom. If you're wanting a little extra power and aren't absolutely desperate, I'd go ahead and wait a bit.

    Besides, imagine how frustrating it'd be if you finished selling your 1.83 and buying a 2.16, only to have an improved 2.16 or 2.33 Core 2 ship a month later--at which point you could either get the faster one, or the same 'Book you just paid $2000 for selling for several hundred less as everybody who wants to be on the bleeding edge sells to upgrade.

Share This Page