Lust versus Practicality

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Neb154, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. Neb154 macrumors member

    Feb 2, 2006
    Well, here I am, after much perusing of this forum and website for many months, including all of the MWSF bonanza, here with my vexing question.

    I am a high school Junior, bent on buying an intel laptop (macbook Pro rev B,C or new iBook replacement) in about 18 months (when I head off to a college to be determined). Yet in the mean time, I am lusting for an iBook. However, I have no real use for a laptop. I possess some extra change to throw around in the computer department, and there is nothing more that would satisfy my technology urges then an iBook, with a fairly speedy processor, with a big enough HD to hold 20-30 GB of music, and with the capabilities to surf and word process. So, the question comes again. Should I wait? Should I buy a cheap refurbished, and if so, where? for how much? is anyone wishing to sell on this forum? Opinions needed greatly and to be welcomed warmly!
  2. thedude110 macrumors 68020


    Jun 13, 2005
    Lust is wonderful. The only thing better than lust is anticipation.

    or ...

    Why would you buy a computer you don't need? :confused:
  3. Neb154 thread starter macrumors member

    Feb 2, 2006
    Well, I'd get to find new uses for a laptop (and the extra dollars) and also, I'd get better acquainted with Mac OS X, something I've always wanted.
  4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

    May 2, 2005
    Wait until 2nd semester or so, senior year.

    If you get one now, it'll just be that much older by the time you get to college.

    My PowerBook (2nd semester, Junior year) is going to get to last me through all of college (and probably part of grad school). Although this baby can go for 5 years (I hope! I <3 him!), you know how computers get: a scratch there, a dent here...

    Wait. Use the money you have now for something fun. Huge amounts of starbucks. :)
  5. pianoman181 macrumors regular

    Jan 6, 2004
    Hey Neb

    I'm in the same EXACT situation. My PowerBook G4 is aging a bit (1ghz, 768mb ram, 12") and I'm a junior in High School. I have the cash to go out and buy a macbook right now, I just can't justify it. I can get by fine with my current computers, you're best off waiting dude. Only a little while longer ;)
  6. Neb154 thread starter macrumors member

    Feb 2, 2006
    Hey pianoman... if you want to sell your PB for 500 or so, I could help you justify your new purchase
  7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Jul 29, 2005
    Look at these kids wit TiBook in their junior year and I have one my senior year. Don't get one. Wait it out, I too have plenty of cash, $3k+ but im gonna wait it out. I might not even get MBP my frosh year since I cant see a good reason other then to show off.

Share This Page