Lyft's All-Access Subscription Plan Rolling Out Nationwide, $300/Month for 30 Rides

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In March, Lyft began testing a monthly subscription plan for select high-frequency users, and today the company announced that a version of this plan will now be available to everyone in the United States by the end of the week. Called the "All-Access Plan," passengers will be able to pay upfront every 30 days, locking in a set price for their rides and not having to pay out for each individual Lyft trip.

[​IMG]

Subscribers of the All-Access Plan will get 30 rides (for up to $15 each) for a monthly fee of $299, and can cancel their plan anytime. If a ride goes over $15, subscribers will have to pay the difference. If the 30 ride limit is exceeded, Lyft will offer five percent off additional rides. Additionally, unused rides will not roll over to the following monthly pay period.

During its test, Lyft tried out plans that cost $200/month, $300/month, and $400/month for different amount of rides and incentives, but it appears that the company landed on $299/month as the sweet spot. At the time, Lyft CEO Logan Green discussed the subscription plan tests, saying, "We are going to move the entire industry from one based on ownership to one based on subscription."

In today's press release, Lyft says the nationwide rollout of the All-Access Plan is the first step toward "delivering on our goal of making car ownership optional."
    Lyft launches its subscription plan after rival Uber trialed its own similar monthly subscription payments in 2016, without following up with a full launch. Lyft has also partnered with Google's Waymo "to bring autonomous vehicle technology into the mainstream."

Article Link: Lyft's All-Access Subscription Plan Rolling Out Nationwide, $300/Month for 30 Rides

2. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Hmmm this makes sense if your rides are typically over $10 per ride.

I miss the Uber Ride Pass where you pay $15 and then have access to $2.99 Pools and $6.99 UberX.

3. zahuh macrumors regular

Love competition! Can’t wait to see where this goes in the coming months/years.

4. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

So this is targeted to people that don't have cars? Just getting to/from work is 40 rides/month (average). Then add in getting around for shopping/dinner/etc. How much are these people spending each month instead of just getting a car?

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Wouldn’t this be more than the payment of a decent used car?

6. kcslc macrumors newbie

This looks like a terrible “deal.” Ugh. Subscription-based everything. I hate it.

7. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

8. MobileMikeV macrumors newbie

MobileMikeV

This would be appropriate for people living just outside of a city who mainly use public transit, such as commuter rail to get to work each day and only need a car service for going grocery shopping or other tasks in more suburban environments - things they don't necessarily do each day. These same families may also share a single car or only have parking in their home for one car.

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Also remember to factor in fuel costs, insurance, parking, local road charges etc.

10. cryingbaby macrumors newbie

Ah, but take into account gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. then you have an argument. I think this is a great idea. Not sure $300 is the correct starting price point though.

11. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

I thought about that, and surely it's more than a car payment, but then factor in insurance, gas and maintenance (oil changes at a minimum and tires + repairs on older cars) plus parking costs that many have to pay, then it starts to blur which is the better choice. Of course, convenience of having a car is worth quite a bit to most.

(Edit: I see others responded basically the same thing at the same time as I did!)

12. 2010mini macrumors 68040

If I owned a bar, I would get this as a benefit to my customers.

13. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Reminds me an old-fashioned calling card business model with more limitations.
    They hope people will pay $300/month and not use it.

14. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

This probably doesn't make sense for most people, but it isn't targeted towards most people anyway. It's for high frequency users. If you're going to be using Lyft a ton each month anyway, this is a nice discount.

15. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

For the majority of the US this would definitely NOT make sense, but for those living in concentrated urban areas - think DC metro, NYC, etc. - it could be a winner. If you normally take the subway to work (a viable option for these areas) then your needs for car-based travel are indeed smaller. Needing a ride to/from shopping, restaurants, clubs, theaters, airports, etc. could be HUGE.

16. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Shopping? Have it delivered.

Dinner? Have it delivered.

This is the world we live in now Lol. At least in NYC.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2018 ---
    Never have to worry about maintenance or parking or a DWI with Lyft.

17. chabig macrumors 601

This only makes sense if your average ride is more than $10 and less tha $15. If your ride is less than $10 you’re paying too much. If your ride is more than $15 there is no savings. It reminds me of the rental car option of prepaying for a full tank of gas, which is almost never a benefit to the renter.

18. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

Makes sense in the cities. I really need to switch over to Lyft. I hate Uber with a passion. Idk why I still give that company any money.

19. unobtainium macrumors 68020

A car is way more expensive than $299 per month though.

I walk to/from work and almost everywhere else, so I have no interest in this. I don’t even bother with transit or biking, walking is nice. But for many people I can see the utility of a plan like this.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2018 ---
    Not sure about that. There are a lot of costs associated with a car. Deprecation, maintenance, parking fees, gas, insurance, cleaning, and of course whatever you pay for the car itself.

20. nicho macrumors 68020

If your ride is more than $15 there's a $5 saving on each ride...

21. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

I doubt this will go very far for most Lyft / Uber riders (locks you in to only one service, so maybe its another goal with this for Lyft)

>> "We are going to move the entire industry from one based on ownership to one based on subscription." <<

Our economy is moving towards this in general and I'm guessing individuals end up having less rights and control as subscribers than owners...seems like a creeping way to get back to making the economy the equivalent of the company store for citizens.

22. ikramerica macrumors regular

My costs for my car with payment, gas, insurance is closer to $600 a month. But I do way more than 30 trips a month.

23. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

It depends on how and where you drive. In a crowded city you also need to factor in insurance, repair and probably parking fees. If you rent your home or apartment you may be paying double the parking fee if you want/need a garage or secured parking for home.

I definitely don’t live in an urban area like that, but I have relatives who do. Most of them say a car isn’t worth the trouble or cost.

24. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I was going to say this looks like a great deal if you have a long commute, but I see the limit is $15 rides.

25. Mr. Skeleton macrumors member

Mr. Skeleton

Sorry, but this is a waste of money. $300 is overpriced for only 30 rides.

I’d rather pay Uber $20 for 20 rides 15% off. It’s literally the same deal without paying $300

What a desperate money grab.

There are way better and cheaper alternatives (besides Uber’s) like Car2go, E-scooters and bikes.