Lynksis wrt54g-> Airport express-> time capsule???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rossignol292, May 10, 2008.

1. rossignol292 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

The title pretty much says it all. I'm considering buying an airport express to extend my lynksis wrt54g. Then i want to add a time capsule to that. The goal is to have wireless printing, and air tunes in my room (where my drunken roommates won't be able to break anything) with the AX. Then i'd like to have the time capsule hidden near the TV so I can stream music (through airtunes) to the speakers in the living room. I also want the time capsule for wireless backup, and access to big files that would crowd my hard drive. The reason i'm not 100% sure if it will work is b/c the apple website says the time capsule will only extend airport BASED networks.... I know they're not taking into account the ability of the AX to extend a lynksis, but i wanted to check. Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I don't think the Time Capsule has Airtunes. If you could live without Airtunes in your room, you can just switch the Time Capsule and put the AX in the living room.

3. rossignol292 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya that's true, I could do that. I guess my real question is whether or not i'll be able to use the time capsule for wireless back up, and access to files on it, while still being connected to the internet. My only concern is that the time capsule will want to create it's own network (without internet) instead of connecting to the AX (because the AX is just extending a lynksis based network).

4. paduck macrumors 6502

why not replace the wtr54g with the Time Capsule? It has ports for wired connections and is a wireless router as well. That would be dramatically simpler. Are you using any advanced features in the wrt54g that the TC wouldn't be able to do?

5. rossignol292 thread starter macrumors newbie

And suddenly it all makes sense, and i feel stupid.