Lynksys WAG160N

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xylios, Jul 28, 2008.

1. xylios macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,
    I am looking into a wireless Modem Router to replace the rather expensive Belkin G+ MIMO B/G/N wireless ADSL/ADSL+2 modem router that the Macbook I have didn't seem to like. The problem was every time WPA was switched on the Macbook wouldn't connect. Anyway after several frustrating missions to get the Belkin going I have given up.

What I wanted to ask was if anyone has had any experience with the Lynksys WAG160N? Anything horror stories or stories of praise? Anything information on this would be sweet, Google hasn't really yielded anything about Macbook compatibility with this particular modem.

Thanks in advance

Xy

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've never heard of Lynksys, so my guess you meant the Linksys WRT160N?

Yes it work if you are talking about that, but I think you should get a Airport Extreme/Express instead; so much better. Of course the ultimate is the Linksys WRT600N, but that's really not worth it…

3. xylios thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes sorry it is the linksys not lynksys (typo) the WAG160N is not too bad a choice for what I need. The only reason I'm not going with the Airport is, as I understand it the Airport doesn't have a built in modem and I also need it for ADSL2+ I though the airport was ADSL1

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm not familiar with the ones with a built-in DSL modem. I'm assuming you already have DSL so what's wrong with the current modem?

If it's just the wireless part that's funky and you're sole reason for not getting an Airport is the lack of the modem, get an Airport Express/Extreme, and set it into an ethernet to WiFI bridge. Then disable wireless on your Belkin. So you connect the Airport to the Belkin via ethernet; the Belkin will still be your router and modem, but the wireless will be handled by the Airport. I guess you could also get another brand, but I've done some testing for several routers and it seems the Airport is very good for the price.

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

The Airport Extreme is WAY slow for the price. According to Cnet, it's less than half the speed (in mbps) of either the Linksys WRT310N or the DIR-655.

I have spent hours of research on end to find the best router. I made a trade study. The DIR-655 and the WRT310N came out on top, both with the best combination of features, speed, usability, reliability, user ratings, and price ($100 on Amazon). I did not account the dual-band routers, because I have 5Ghz. phones and don't need them affecting the signal.

After finding out the WRT310N might have heat issues, I was swayed to the DIR-655. I will be ordering it in a month (going on vacation and I don't want it arriving while I'm gone).

People advocate the Airport Extreme and yet don't do the research. It's actually a very weak performer, unless you value looks.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

People who only read reviews and never use the product, but then bash said product is just as guilty. My Airport Extreme is fast. I can get my full 50/20 internet and that's good enough for me.

7. xylios thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys this is all good information. The problem with my current ADSL/ADSL2 modem router is that the RJ45 telephone cable that I am using to connect the modem router to the phone point in the wall has broken inside the modem and I cannot remove it. So when the phone cable dies I loose the modem router.

I have looked into this further and have found that the Linksys doesn't play nicely with the Playstation so that initial choice is out. I guess what I need is something that's a good performer for a reasonable price that will play well with Mac, PC, Xbox360 and PS3....

I might be asking too much :)

8. gabrix3679 macrumors newbie

Hi guys!
    I'm going to replace my old Atlantis Land wireless gateway with the Linksys WAG160N. I bought it yesterday and I'm waiting its shipping.
    I will use it with a black MacBook, an Airport Express connected to my hi-fi, a desktop pc with a 3Com Wi-Fi PCI card and an Italian Libero ADSL connection.
    I will tell you my experience, maybe the next week.
    See you soon.
    Bye!

gabrix3679

9. stelee macrumors newbie

10/10 - Superb

I purchased the WAG160N , to replace my Netgear DG834N (rubbish router).

The MAC'S love this new linksys router, little bit of info , it uses Wide range channels, so instead of slowing to just G if one computer only has G support, it broadcasts a seperate G frequency, and N frequency to cover everything at full speed, in turn improving the range...

BEST ROUTER I HAVE EVER OWNED, and also take a peek over here http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/212307/linksys-wag160n.html 6 out of 6 - A list .

Ebuyer only £55 in the UK is the cheapest.

10/10 , BUY IT!
    - if you want fast error free, and long range modem/wireless n combo.

10. gabrix3679 macrumors newbie

Linksys WAG160N and AirPort Express

Hi guys!
    Here I am to tell you my experience with the new Linksys WAG160N gateway.
    First of all, it is very simple to setup and works very well.
    I got a problem (as many other users say in other forums) with Apple AirPort Express. The problem was that when I configured the AirPort Express to join the new wireless network with WPA or WPA2 encryption, the AirPort became "invisible" for my MacBook.
    After looking around for a solution, I got it.

1. Configure the gateway with WPA or WPA2 encryption
    2. Configure the AirPort Express to join the existing wireless network with WPA or WPA2 encryption using AirPort Utility
    3. Turn off the gateway and the AirPort Express
    4. Turn on the AirPort Express FIRST!
    5. When the AirPort Express yellow light is blinking (this is because there is not the wireless network to join), turn on the gateway.

That's all. ;)
    Now I can use the AirPort Express to listen to music on my hi-fi and I can see my AirPort Express in the AirPort Utility for further configuration changes.

For any question about my experience, write here. I will reply as soon as possible.

Bye!

gabrix3679

11. blackshine macrumors newbie

I have a Linksys WAG160N modem/router and three Airport Express devices which I use for music streaming. I am using WPA2 encryption and all the Airports have static IPs (rather than using DHCP).

For some reason every 24 hrs all 3 Airports fall off the network and I have to reboot the router to see them again. Has anyone else experienced this?

J

12. tobyadams87 macrumors newbie

No worky with iPhone

This router allows iPhones to connect - no issues, but then the connection will cease to function yet the iphone will keep telling you its connected. Airplane mode on and then airplane mode off, that's the only way back onto the Wi-Fi, the router sucks. :mad: