Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Seriously, this guy only meant to help music lovers, and it's not like he asked for money for something that found actual copywritten material. It was freem just as the lyrics are. WTF? Legally, I see no way that they have any right to send him this threat.

This is what the punks in the 70's and 80's wanted to avoid. This is why their shows are 10 bucks for 8 bands and 6 bucks for a record. They believed in their music, not the money.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
I like how the company didn't respond to his correspondence. They do this of course because they have no case and don't want to show their hand.

I would have written them a letter citing a copyright case or two involving similar issues and saying something like "if I don't hear back from you, I'll be forced to assume that you accept my argument" and send it certified mail.

That would get the ball rolling. Better than rolling over.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Diatribe said:
Are you a dev of another lyric widget?

Sort of, http://www.staylazy.net/canto

Although Im still in high school Im stilling willing to put up a fight. I work for a law firm and am close with everyone so it would be very easy for me to have atleast 4 lawyers on my case. Also, there are other lawyers in the building who I am sure would be interested in this, its good publicity ;)

That is ofcourse assuming they bother me.

But its really a joke. If they shut down pearlyrics and any other thing similar, then Google, Yahoo, MSN, all have to be shut down or disallowed from searching for lyrics. All blogs and MySpaces that post lyrics should be removed. AIM and AOL must also forbid anyone from posting lyrics in their profiles, and screen names and email address' may not include song titles or phrases/choruses from such songs.

I can go on and on.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I too create a lyrics app for the iPod. If they come after me, I will do my best to fight.

This is utterly ridiculous. :mad:

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
kainjow said:
I too create a lyrics app for the iPod. If they come after me, I will do my best to fight.

This is utterly ridiculous. :mad:

Glad to know there will be someone else. We should go public with this if it happens. Very very public. Somewhat of a single campaign to put across lyric sites.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Wow this is getting ridiculous. This is the most insane thing I've read all week I think. How could having the lyrics of a song infringe on anything at all? I mean, next thing you know, we won't be allowed to copy songs from the radio onto aging cassettes for our own listening. This fear/bullying intimidation crap has to stop from the music industry. :mad: At least pearLyrics still works if you already have a copy. Circulate people, circulate.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
The only problem is that pearLyrics really was the best out there in terms of finding lyrics. It almost got them all and copied them to iTunes perfectly. All the others I have tried just don't come close... I wish someone would use the same lyric sites as pearlyrics and continue to offer their app.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Apple said:
Whats up with this? I mean there are billions of websites online that offer lyrics, why arent those shut down. The only thing that the widget does is offer the lyrics from the sites. It seems that these record companies just want to make our lives harder.
There was a big raid in 1999 or so when lyrics.ch and some others had their equipment seized. The lyrics sites around today either have worked out arrangements with Harry Fox Agency to do it legally, only have a handful of stuff and fall under the radar, do their hosting in countries with lax enforcement, or get around it by linking to other smaller sites.

(The lyrics stuff comes from the publishing businesses, not the recording companies. Warner is in both businesses.)

Abstract said:
Yeah, that's my biggest peeve as well. I don't see the point of having laws at all unless some harm was being done. I didn't ever think that lyric sites were illegal. Are they?
Yes, if they didn't secure the publishing permission. The business being hurt is sheet music and songbook publishers.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
iMeowbot said:
Yes, if they didn't secure the publishing permission. The business being hurt is sheet music and songbook publishers.

Pearlyrics is not providing sheet music. And realistically how many of those downloading lyrics would have gone out and purchased songbooks?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Loge said:
Pearlyrics is not providing sheet music. And realistically how many of those downloading lyrics would have gone out and purchased songbooks?

Actually, it is providing it in the sense that it can search for it and let you view the chords on your computer.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
tobefirst said:
Actually, it is providing it in the sense that it can search for it and let you view the chords on your computer.

Yes OK, I hadn't seen that. Though they appear to be someone's attempt at transcription. It's not exactly what you get if you purchase the songbook/sheet music.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Onizuka said:
Seriously, this guy only meant to help music lovers, and it's not like he asked for money for something that found actual copywritten material. It was freem just as the lyrics are. WTF? Legally, I see no way that they have any right to send him this threat.

Yeah, I don't like to see these strong-arm tactics being used, especially when so many lyrics sites exits on the 'net. But, technically, lyrics are not free of copyright. The company that owns the publishing to those songs owns the copyright for the lyrics. Google is having a similar problem with its attempt to bring books online.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I'd be more sympathetic if they provided a legal, reasonable alternative, but they don't.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Oh no! I have lyrics to "Route 66" posted on my blog. I may end up with one of these letters. I am with others, I don't like the way the record companies bullies people. It just gets on my nerves, these record companies have SOOOO much money (some which perhaps they could donate to charity? Maybe Disney could give copies of childrens movie to the hospital wards in the United States?) and all they care about is making more and more money.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Loge said:
I'd be more sympathetic if they provided a legal, reasonable alternative, but they don't.
There are some.

At Warner-Chappell full lyrics for many (definitely not all) songs are available (full lyric link is at the bottom of the song entry).

The search at EMI Music includes many lyrics also.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
iMeowbot said:
There are some.

At Warner-Chappell full lyrics for many (definitely not all) songs are available (full lyric link is at the bottom of the song entry).

The search at EMI Music includes many lyrics also.

Yes, indeed there are some, and there are some bands like Steely Dan who provide all their lyrics on their official site.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Apple said:
Whats up with this? I mean there are billions of websites online that offer lyrics, why arent those shut down. The only thing that the widget does is offer the lyrics from the sites. It seems that these record companies just want to make our lives harder.

Seems the RIAA has nothing better to do other than shut down companies like used in example for a service as such. They seem to be really sweating that they require all the income they can muster they greedy hands on. :rolleyes:

However there is another argument, if you can obtain the lyrics for the songs then there is one less feature to buy the Album as usually many of the Albums have lyrics included.

Its one of those 50/50 things. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.