Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I admit it. I am a legitimate hater of karaoke. But doesn't this raise some licensing issue for those using it in a commercial setting, say a bar?
That's something the bar has to work out separately, no matter where they get the material.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
I admit it. I am a legitimate hater of karaoke. But doesn't this raise some licensing issue for those using it in a commercial setting, say a bar? Or does Apple set aside that issue on their licensing agreements?
The owner of the bar has to pay ASCAP/BMI/SESAC license fees for public performances of any kind. It doesn't matter of the karaoke is coming from CD+G discs, a hard drive, iPods, or anything else.

Commercial actually doesn't affect this much - only the fact that the performance is public. Whether or not the bar chooses to charge a cover for admission, they still need to pay (the amount they pay, however, does change, depending on these circumstances.)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Sweet. And please FINALLY add some kind of "get info" button that tells me the producers, engineers, etc. that are credited to the song. Sometimes I like to see this on my iPhone when jamming.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Sweet. And please FINALLY add some kind of "get info" button that tells me the producers, engineers, etc. that are credited to the song. Sometimes I like to see this on my iPhone when jamming.

Did you notice this is a thread from 2007!!!! good job Fondaparinux. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.