Lyrics Dashboard Widget? Is Harmonic dead?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ncsmith4, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

So I just noticed that my Dashboard widget "Harmonic" is now giving me the following for lyrics:

Whats worse is that Harmonic is putting THAT into my songs as lyrics. Does anyone know of a good replacement lyrics widget???

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Wow I just noticed it right now. It changed the lyrics for a lot of my music with that note.

That really sucks. Wonder what really happened.

3. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

5. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'm having the same problem. I wonder how long it was replacing my lyrics with that PSA type thing? Blah. Post if you find any good lyrics widgets; Harmonic was the best I ever found.

6. RED™ macrumors regular

RED™

I've seen that message too, but only on certain songs like from Pink and Michael Jackson, lyrics work fine on Lily Allen, Sunrise Avenue and more...

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Did anyone find anything? I've been searching a lot but looks like Harmonic was the best one. I've tried searching and found a couple of alternatives like Sing that iTune or PearLyrics but they don't work either.

:(

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Sorry about double posting but I found a replacement for Harmonic.

Harmonic is officially dead because of licensing issues that affected lyricswiki which is pretty dumb, I know. It isn't really Harmonic's fault at all.

But in the meantime, TunesText works for me and you can get it here: http://www.cyanworks.net/dboardTunesTEXT.html

Just be sure to click the little "i" and select to search only from sing365.com. It works just as well as Harmonic and it also had a little editor built in so you can edit lyrics.

Also, I didn't create this application and I'm not affiliated with it either. I'm just posting this so people who used to use harmonic will have one other alternative to fall back to. And trust me, this is the only app for now that does work.

:)

9. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion, I prefer it to Harmonic as it happens!

[​IMG]

10. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

11. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

Brilliant! :cool:
    This really is better than Harmonic.

12. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

this widget is great you guys brought up. I like that it shows the art work, and that your able to skip tracks and pause right in the widget to

13. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Thanks for finding another lyrics widget; I was getting really cranky about not having one :)

14. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

15. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

THANK YOU! I love my lyrics and missed harmonic when it went offline.

Why only select sing365.com?

16. Mitch.T macrumors newbie

Problems Persist

I used to use Harmonic as well, and am thankful for this! However, it seems that the lyrics already saved are what TunesText prefer to display... most of which (like we established) were just two lines or so of the text then " [...] "

Is there anything I can do here?

17. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I've been using PearLyrics for a long time, even after it failed to find any lyrics about a year ago (occasionally it wil turn up lyrics from leolyrics.com).

I've written an Applescript to scrape lyrics off the LyricWiki wikia website BUT it's tailored for the way my songs are tagged (all my songs are meticulously tagged).

But if anyone wants it you can PM me or post back in this thread. BUT I warn those who don't know now the slightest bit of Applescript that if it doesn't work any you don't know how to fix it, don't bother with this script.

I forgotten to mention...the script works flawlessly for me :D

18. Mitch.T macrumors newbie

Lyric Wiki

I've got a ton of these programs on my computer (Get Lyrical, GimmeSomeTune, Harmonic, TunesText, ItunesLyricsLocator) and all of which are pulling from lyricwiki, and it's because of this program, it seems, that the lyrics are abridged after a few lines.

Any answers to that one?

19. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

They either need to get updated by the author of the program/widget to get around the copy protection enforced by Gracenote on LyricsWiki. I guess contact the author/s and see if they have a working version.

Otherwise I have a working script that I mentioned above, but all it does is scrape on request from within iTunes.

The app's used to use an API to access all this but they got rid of it, now all you get is that a short message.

20. nothin7 macrumors newbie

hey sammich, your :apple:script sounds perfect. could you send it to me? can't figure out how to send a pm on this site...thanks!

21. sammich macrumors 601

sammich