Lyrics widget - ONLY display from MP3 tags

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rizaria, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Rizaria macrumors newbie

Rizaria

Been looking for a simple widget to do what I want...for...dunno, a coupla years at least.

I know there's plenty of lyrics widgets out there, but they all search databases for lyrics. Most are terrible, plenty incomplete, and of course lacking in my foreign language songs. But that aside, I don't WANT ones from the 'net. I want a widget to just display the lyrics I've embedded in the MP3 tags via iTunes. One would think that'd be easier than having something fetch and format something from the Internet...yet I've never found a widget that does what I want.

Does anyone know of one? All it needs to do is display the lyrics of the current playing song in iTunes, from the file itself. No frills, nothing fancy. Wouldn't even care if it showed the album art or not. I'd make it myself, but I'm not exactly a programmer. So if anyone could help, I'd very much appreciate it~

2. Rizaria thread starter macrumors newbie

Rizaria

Seriously, nothing?

Pretty much all the lyrics widgets can save the lyrics they find in the ID3 tags of the currently playing song, so OBVIOUSLY widgets can be made to access that tag. I'm no good with code, but surely just displaying what's in that tag would require a whole lot less code than searching the internet, downloading, formatting, accessing the ID3 tag and saving the lyrics there.

It's obvious one doesn't exist, as most people WANT to get their lyrics downloaded automatically. But if anyone who knows how those widgets are coded, or made one, or whatever, can make something simple that does this...it'd be really good. (Admittedly I've only see one other person on the 'net asking for the same thing, but still! Do it to prove you can. ;-; )

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Most lyric grabber apps (like Album Art Thingy which I use) and PearLyrics, which is no longer officially being developed but is a fine widget nonetheless, either offer an option to just display the lyrics for songs in iTunes that already have them or (like PearLyrics) do so by default and need a special setting (Can overwrite iTunes lyrics) to replace them.

You said you wanted a widget for display so try PearLyrics. Album Art Thingy is a program and its main purpose is to grab album art it just also happens to do lyrics as well.

4. Rizaria thread starter macrumors newbie

Rizaria

Well, I do have PearLyrics. But I'm fairly certain it tries right away to fetch lyrics via the web. And I don't see an option for it to do otherwise.

EDIT: Or not, that must've been the app version. So PearLyrics seems to get it straight from iTunes, fantastic! Thanks for pointing that out.