M-Audio AV40 audio problem / question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by The.316, Jan 23, 2012.

1. The.316, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I have a set of M-Audio AV40s connected to my iMac, and i really enjoy them. The problem I seem to be having from time to time is that one of the speakers, usually the one that is not connected to the power, shuts off, and I have to turn the power switch off and on again in order for it to work. Has anyone else had an issue like this before? I have some decent speaker wire connected between the two, but if it was a speaker wire problem, wouldnt turning the power off and on play no part in this?

Also, should I have them connected the way I have them currently, via audio out, or should I connect them via USB? If USB would be better, does anyone have any suggestions on what equipment I would need to purchase? I have a Creative x-fi Surround 5.1 Pro device lying around, and I thought that might do something, no?

2. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

The AV40's have a history of malfunctioning. If you're still under warranty, consider sending it to M-Audio. There is a later revision of this product that fixes some of the faults of the original. My left speaker occasionally cut out, but I didn't do anything about it because it was out of warranty.

As for the audio interfacing thing, line out is fine. If you want to improve sound quality a lot, you could theoretically get something like an Apogee Duet and use that as your soundcard.