M-Audio Firewire 410 exploding my monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cutthroat, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Cutthroat macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I've got a PPC 1.8 Ghz Dual Processor Power Mac G5 running OS X 10.4.11, and I've got an issue with my audio interface. Before I start, I'll say that everything is up to date, all drivers, updates and etc. are the latest and greatest. I've got two external hard drives (LaCie 500 GB and 190 GB) that are running Firewire 800 into my G5, and are also linked together with 800. The 410 is going 400 into my G5. Every time I try to access audio files on these hard drives through any program, Logic, iTunes, or any of my software instruments, the 410 blinks off, which pops the hell out of my monitors, and then comes back on. After it turns on, any sound coming out of it is extremely distorted. I think an external power supply might do the trick in fixing it, but I'm not totally sure. I'll be working on getting one in the meantime. A co-worker told me that it has to do with data sharing the same firewire stream, but I have no idea how to correct this. Also, I have just recently upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4 with an upgrade disk, not a clean install. I had no problems whatsoever in 10.3.9. The only thing that hasn't been upgraded is anything involving the two drives, but I'm not exactly sure where to look for anything pertaining to them. Wouldn't that be covered in a firmware update? Any suggestions?

2. Cutthroat thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I double-checked LaCie's website and updated the firmware on the LaCie drives, and dug out a power supply for the 410, and for the moment, it seems to have fixed it. I'm currently running a stress test with iTunes, Logic, and Firefox thrown in for good measure. So how about the single firewire stream problem? Anybody heard anything close to that?