M-Audio Project I/O mix

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by chadi, May 25, 2007.

1. chadi macrumors member

Hey,

I just had a question for anyone using either the M-Audio Project I/O Mix or I guess any other firewire type hardware that's similar on their mac.

I just moved it over to my macbook pro from my PC DAW which I am selling, and it was working great. Then I put my MBP to sleep last night and woke it up this morning...it showed the audio input going from my keyboard --> the device when I looked at the M-Audio Firewire controller software thing in system preferences, but no sound was going to the speakers (even though it showed it was in the software).

So, I just figured I'd restart the Project I/O Mix...Not that I have had that exact problem ever on my PC but I would of just done the same thing on my pc...anway this crashed my mac, I got a screen that said I had to restart, no click here to ignore or anything...just you have to restart. I assume this is some sort of safety feature because of the firewire device and to avoid damaging anything.

So I rebooted it and it works fine now...but my problem is this, does this mean I can't put my notebook to sleep ever? I have to shut it off and turn it on every night/morning?

Hopefully not...is there a work around for this or am I the only one experiencing this?

Thanks,
    Chad

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm not sure if it's the PMIO or your DAW software, but yeah I get those messages too and have no clue why.

M-Audio is extra picky about what should be on when especially with their
    F/W interfaces.

Wish I knew exactly what was causing mine to kernel panic too.

3. chadi thread starter macrumors member

Ya I figured it wasn't an isolated incident.

It sucks because I just decided to switch over to use my PIOM as my full time sound card now...so that means I can't ever put this thing to sleep. Oh well, could be worse I suppose :/

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm more upset that they didn't think to provide a +4/-10 switching option for people who want to use the interface with better pre-amps.

If I had it to do all over again, I would concentrate on putting together 2 very good I/O's rather than trying to use 8 mediocre ones.

Actually 4 high end I/O's would be perfect for almost anything I would ever do as a solo artist.

5. chadi thread starter macrumors member

You know...I think I'd just be happy with a half decent volume pot. That thing is terrible it jumps in such large increments. Not that any of the pots are all that smooth...

But I guess that's what you get when you want an all in one package at (compared to the 'high end stuff') a low price.

Oh well, it does what I need...and if I complete the transition from pc's to macs and get a mac pro then I'll just attach it to that and use headphones / headphone amp with my laptop when I'm out.

But for now...I shall continue to complain about these kernel panics :/

Edit:

I now have lost 10%+ of my hearing since the remote control doesn't work right ...you push volume up once and it just goes up and up and up and up...and since I keep my volume settings at the mid area at most to avoid feedback...having it go all the way up while sitting in front of my BX5a's (withe the volume/off switch in the back...) I think I now lost hearing :/

grrr...you know, I'm an M-audio dealer...I recognize the value in the price-->performance these products give but I have so many issues with my own gear that it really makes it hard to sell sometimes. My prokeys 88 for example (my second one, first one had a bad middle D key...it would only play 50% of the time) has half the LED's not working, so I can never really just tell which instrument I'm on (obviously playing determines that but it's nice to know if it switched when you hit the button)...also I can't tell if I'm layering / splitting etc; all those LED's dont work. and the other day I lost the entire mid C octave...it just skipped it, if I played those keys I was an octave to high...a restart fixed that.

I didn't mean to get off topic about my Prokeys 88, but it's just one thing after another...and I keep going back due to the price...to get a Roland keyboard instead of the M-audio one would of been about 5x as much (given that's including my dealer pricing...and the fact that I'd have to buy the Roland retail).

!!!! :/

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You really must watch your hearing especially using headphones.

I am now clinically deaf I my right ear with 50% loss in the left side
    all from overdoing it with headphones.

It's not just the volume, but the length of exposure that hurts you.

Of course when you're into that mad scientist creative mode, it's difficult
    to remember to take breaks and beware of ear fatigue.

While M-Audio components allow you to record for a somewhat reasonable price, they should still offer better converters and pre-amps.

What you end up with is an affordable ProTools dongle because of Digi's
    stubborn attitude towards third party components.

7. chadi thread starter macrumors member

Well after a few more days of use I can say the following...

I've managed to restore from hibernation 3 times now without it going crashing, that's a plus.

On the downside the fact that if I try to adjust the volume (anyway you like, hardware pot on the PIOM, with a fn+f5 on my mbp etc;) I get crazy stutter...not nice at all. That and I can't be sure but I believe I heard some hiss a few mins ago in between tracks...I absolutely can't stand speaker hiss. Which is part of the reason I use this setup (which I am adding a sub to this week...looking forward to that showing up).

Nope song just ended definetly hear a hiss, shh chhh shh chh grrrr...

Need to figure out why it's doing that now :(

Audio is such a PITA because it's so finicky... :/

**EDIT**

The hissing is coming from some input from my M-Audio Prokeys 88 that's not doing anything :/ Muted for now...Traced the lines dont see any power line cross over...rebooted the piano and still there...no idea why it's doing that.