M-Audio + Protools on Win vs Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by product26, Nov 25, 2007.

1. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

Well, today I attempted to record some music with my buddies...
    I have an M-Audio Firewire 1814 and Protools M-Powered. I also have a brand new SR MBP running leopard. Now, anybody with a setup similar to mine knows that M-Audio is dragging their feet (as usual) on releasing leopard compatible drivers.

Silly me, i thought I could install everything in XP and it would be just fine... HAHAHA! I have had some trouble with the m-audio drivers before, but come on! The problems under XP were ridiculous. I had to reboot quite a few times just to get it working properly.

I am pretty worried tho. I tried running a firewire 800 external SATA drive to record to. But there seemed to be some sort of firewire conflict between the 1814 and the Oxford driven firewire enclosure. I hope this is just an XP issue, and does not pose a problem once M-Audio finally releases leopard compatible drivers.

Back to the part about m-audio dragging their feet... They really need to stay on top of updating their drivers. I remember one 10.4.x compatible driver was released the day before the next 10.4.xx update came out. They really missed the bus on that one. Anybody using m-audio hardware cannot safely keep their OS up to date for fear of breaking compatibility with thier m-audio hardware.

I am starting to consider selling my m-audio/protools setup and going with something else.

Anyway, i have had my gripes about m-audio/protools running in os x... but they are NOTHING compared to the headache i had trying to run it in XP... never again.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeh it can be a nightmare.

I don't have an external M-Audio, but I run an M-Audio Delta in my PC and the drivers were always a bit of a pain.

Alesis have been great though. I use an Alesis MultiMix and it works in Leopard (on the beta drivers) just fine, no stability issues at all. Thumbs up Alesis.

Thinking of ugprading to Logic 8 soon...

3. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

one thing i just thought about.....

When booting between osx and windows xp, the firewire 1814 has its firmware automatically flashed. This means that in order to run in windows, it needs windows compatible firmware, and mac compatible firmware for mac.

Someone at m-audio support told me that because boot camp (beta at the time) was eventually going to be a feature of leopard, they would probably be seeking some sort of universal firmware. Perhaps the delay is because they are actually working on a universal firmware. Probably not.. but one can only hope.

4. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

5. slazareth macrumors regular

how'd you get this thing to even work at all? I plug this guy into my mac pro with leopard and its an instant gray wipe.

6. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

That really stinks, when I used Protools and the M-box back in my audio editing class they stuck with win2000 for the lab computers for stability. I wonder how vista would handle it? lol

I was on M-Audio's site a few days ago they said they where supporting leopard soon but who knows how long that will be.

7. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

If digi would only get their act together and leave the hardware to apogee or motu.

8. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

still no leopard updates for the firewire series.....

**** M-Audio!

9. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

nearly 4 months later and m-audio finally released a leopard compatible firewire 1814 driver. and it is still a beta!

i can confirm that it works. I recorded a couple hours of 11 simultaneous tracks with 0 problems on my macbook pro.

now, with my mac pro on the other hand.... it freezes every time i power on the 1814, or power on the computer with the 1814 already on.

this may be a software issue, but i havent the time to troubleshoot it at the moment.

luckily i primarily use my macbook pro for my recording needs.

10. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

M-Audio released a final version (1.8.3-8) for 10.5.2.

It works just fine on my mac pro running 10.5.3.

FINALLY!