M-audio studiophile AV-40 question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joehahn, Feb 26, 2011.

1. joehahn macrumors regular

I have been looking at these speakers and they seem to be quite solid. I am currently running a couple satellite speakers and a 10in sub through a receiver at my desk and am looking to free up space (the receiver is the main culprit, I can deal with the av-40's size). How do the M-audio's do with bass? I know it really can't compare to the sub I have, but would I really miss it? (I don't have my room shaking with it, but I love me some bass). Also, what are your impressions about the speakers in terms of sound quality, build quality, etc.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

I have had mine for more then a year now and I love them. The sound is clear and crisp. The tonal range is clearly reproduced. The bass with the boost feature is acceptable not room-shaking. As far as build quality they are solid and well made.

Buy them, buy them, buy them... that is my recommendation.

Cheers

3. joehahn thread starter macrumors regular

Will they still perform well with video games and movies?

4. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Not sure how much room you're looking to free up, but you could replace your receiver with a smaller stereo amp and continue to use your speakers and sub. The Dayton APA150 would be a nice choice. Parts Express also has two smaller T-amps that might be worth looking into.

5. seven7seven macrumors regular

Compared to my crappy $40 Creative's with a sub I wasn't impressed.
    The bass was DEFINITELY lacking for anything hip-hop/etc.
    They sounded great for things like classical, piano, bands like fleet foxes, etc. though

6. AppleNewton, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i have two sets one for a airport express in a lounge room and one pair that replaced the z5500s i had.

They reproduce audio recordings pretty damn accurately for their price.
    Id say more so better than the z5500s as well the sub and bass mudded out the true audio of music.

i listen to anything from hard rock, heavy rock, new wave, alternative, drum and bass. (ex. new order, joy division, depeche mode, siouxsie and the banshees, slayer, kmfdm, misfits, Pendulum, Dom & Roland (DnB), Nine Inch Nails, bat for lashes, etc)

The audio sounds clear accurate and reproduces the variety of styles really well. If you want to adjust the output just either use itunes EQ settings or an external EQ device. BUt overall as is theyre pretty solid.

For hiphop or rap, mainly theyre recorded with the low end boosted way up or end users boost the low end way up and ruin their speakers with unnecessary boosting.

So overall I'm quite satisfied with them and dont regret buying them yet and replacing my z5500s.

hope that helps. you can find them at best buy or guitar center for about $149 + taxes and amazon.com for about $164 new.

7. Danv macrumors newbie

My friend have them and they sound crazy ! The bass is really good even it doesn't have an external bass... he used to have Z2300 and we were wondering if he would've lose some bass but damn no!

Sound is amazingly crisp and clear vs the Z2300 !

He is using them for audio producing and it really worth it for a semi-pro studio :D

I'm buying a set as soon as I have money :cool:

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I agree, very impressive. The best part is you dont have to blast the volume on the speakers to hear it loud and clearly.
    turn up the volume on your mac/system all the way up and just do fine adjustments with volume knob. i barely have it up a quarter of the way and it sounds awesome.

I guess im still alittle ecstatic over them, thinking id miss my z5500s but, no way!

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

You don't need a separate subwoofer for good, accurate sound.

Sure, it helps, but often systems are configured in such a way that it just makes everything muddy.

Of course, it seems like many people these days like thunderously overwhelming bass...so that's probably what most are used to and what most systems cater to.

10. Mrawr macrumors member

I have them and I think they're spectacular. Sure, they take up a bit of real estate, but well worth it. Very crisp clear sound. I listen to a lot of different music including some electronic/dance music and I think the bass is sufficient.

The speakers were in my living room attached to an Airport Express for awhile as my main system. (They've recently been relocated to my office and replaced by a ATV and 5.1 system.)

11. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I have the little brother, the AV-30...

never heard such great, rich, full sound in a set of small computer speakers...

But, M-audio makes high-quality gear across the board, so it should not be too surprising.

only known issue is that the amp in the left speaker can get a bit hot.

when pointed correctly, as they are quite directional, the sound is absolutely great.