M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 sound system

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by joelovesapple, Jun 25, 2010.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Hey,

I hope to be getting the above speakers/monitors for my birthday on July 14th. I have a linked review, here: http://www.modsynergy.com/review164.html

Can anybody tell me if they own these, and if they're fine with AAC 256kbps and 320Kbps music in my iTunes; also, how good are they?

I have read some great reviews but I just wanted to see what everyone here thinks. They're on the Apple Store site too! :D

2. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

3. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I've had a pair for about 18 months. They're phenomenal! :)

4. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I can't wait! :D

5. gorillamarker macrumors newbie

if you are looking for a great desktop speaker then these are them. Probably the best $150 speakers there are.

If you are trying to use them in a studio then I would say go for some for expensive speakers. They don't have the flattest frequency response, but are pretty close.

Either way they are a great buy. Your gonna love them.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

For general music listening, they are OK, for their size and price. You can of course get better sound. M-Audio makes an entire line of speakers the the AV40 is near ther lowest end of that line. But these are very in-expensive and don't take up much room and "good enough" for casual music listening

As for "AAC 256kbps and 320Kbps" These are analog powered speakers and they don't have any why of "knowing" the bit rate of encoding of your music. So of cource they will play 320K AAC, they will play 128K MPS and from a CD player

7. deftdrummer macrumors regular

I just bought a pair of these speakers from Best Buy and they are coming in the mail. I have a 20" aluminum iMac. I have read that these are some of the best speakers in the price range period.

They are more than adequate for use in a home studio and they are awesome as computer speakers. One thing I am not sure on is how to get the best audio connection from the mac to the speakers? I have an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and I am thinking that running through this would be the best option, no more output switching!

8. StickyC, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

StickyC macrumors newbie

I just now unboxed a set of these myself and am having issues with my 24" iMac. I've plugged them into the audio out using the RCA cables that are provided, but my iMac keeps switching between digital out and analog out (according to the sound prefpanel), so the sound is cutting in and out. (every half second or so, not with any rhythm or schedule). The few seconds that they are plugged in, they sound pretty good though.

I'd hate to have to return them.

Any ideas?

[EDIT] It turns out the RCA cable included with the speakers had a short. That doesn't bode well. They do sound quite nice though at the medium/low volumes I was looking for.

9. Scott549 macrumors regular

I got the AV30's because of their smaller size, and I am disappointed in them. To my ears they have too much midrange and do not sound natural. My plan in the next few months is to replace them with the Audioengine A2's and move the AV30's to the garage. I wonder whether the AV40's are substantially better, or whether this is just a sound signature that I don't prefer.