M-Audio Transit setup questions

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Daniel75, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Daniel75 macrumors member

Hi,

Please correct me if I'm wrong:) I want to use Maudio Transit as DAC. Soooo:)... in Transit preferences I can change Sample Depth - If I will set it to 24bit - does it mean that Transit will upsample signal?

Second question - if m-audio is setup with sample depth 24bit do I have to change Midi settings too? At the moment I changed m-audio settings to 24bit and when I look at Midi settings I can see "2ch-24bit" there but format is showing 44100.0Hz. Shall I change it to eg. 96hz?

Hope its not confusing but I dont understand relation between Transit setings and Audio MIDI Setup:)

Oh - and finally - does it make any sense to add another DAC to my chain? :) Signal from Macbook, through Transit to DAC and Amp?

Thank you

Dan

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Seems an odd question. MIDI and audio or different kinds of data. MIDI has no "bit depth".

But maybe you are asking if you have to set the audio to "24-bits" in two places. If that's it, I'm pretty sure that if your audio interface is using a Core Audio driver then yu can use Apple's "Audio MIDI Setup" app to control it

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

yes, it will "up sample" (but not really cause it has nothing to do with sample rate) all of your audio. But really all it will be doing is adding a few 0.s to the end of a 16 bit file.

As for midi, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And why would you want an additional converter?

4. Daniel75 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for response. So basically when I'm using Transit I'm bypassing core audio? (Then whole Midi setup doesnt matter). I'm asking because I have music in both lossless (44.100kHz) and higher "definition" (96.000kHz). Transit is setup to 24bit (max sample rate 96.000kHz).

What confused me is when I checked Audio Midi Setup I saw under audio output: 2ch-24bit (as per Transit setup) and Format: 44100.0 Hz. :) Hope its clearer now:)

regarding additional DAC - I asked because I noticed some of the setups where Transit was connected to another DAC (like Baresford) so I was simply wondering why:)

Ta

D

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

The clock will change automatically when different formats are played. And i still have no idea why Midi would be presented as 24bit.

And since there are no digital I/O on this soundcard, i see no point into bringing in another DAC. If you wanted to though, you could use the optical out of the notebook into a DAC and remove the Transit.

6. Daniel75 thread starter macrumors member

Cool - it all makes sense now:) Thank you! (I will just leave MIDI as it is:)

Dan